Diamondbacks' tenure in first: By the numbers
That same day, the Los Angeles Dodgers fell to the Atlanta Braves 8-5, the San Diego Padres lost to the Washington Nationals 6-5 and the Colorado Rockies beat the San Francisco Giants 10-9.
The D-backs claimed first place in the NL West, and they would stay there...up until Monday's loss to the Chicago Cubs.
A lot happened during the team's tenure at the top of the division, which spanned officially from May 17 to July 21, so let's take a look back at that time -- by the numbers.
The Diamondbacks spent 66 days in first place.
Twelve different pitchers recorded a win for the Diamondbacks:
Paul Goldschmidt hit .301 with 11 home runs during the stretch.
Three different teams -- the Dodgers, Giants and Rockies -- were, at one point, in second place.
Royal pregnancies that captivated America as well as champions crowned in both the NBA and NHL.
The number of blown saves Heath Bell, J.J. Putz, David Hernandez, Matt Reynolds and Chaz Roe combined for.
The D-backs' largest lead in the division, which was 4.5 games on July 7.
Incidentally, the D-backs had both a five-game winning streak and a five-game losing streak during their first-place run.
Starting pitcher Ian Kennedy went 2-8 with a 5.83 ERA in 10 starts over the last 66 days.
Brad Ziegler's conversion rate as the team's closer.
Days the Los Angeles Dodgers have spent in first place -- this entire season.
The day Dodgers' rookie Yasiel Puig made his Major League debut. L.A. won that game by a score of 2-1, and has gone 28-15 since the Cuban was elevated to the big league roster.
D-backs that appeared in the July 16 All-Star Game, as Paul Goldschmidt and Patrick Corbin represented the team in New York.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.