Updated Jul 23, 2013 - 5:53 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks' Trevor Cahill continues to progress
Cahill is on the 15-day disabled list with a right hip contusion. He was originally injured June 19 against the Marlins on a line drive back to the mound, but was not put on the DL until July 1. Cahill tried to pitch through the injury but it was causing him to mechanically compensate in other areas while pitching.
"Threw a bullpen today, he threw very good and he's going to throw and AZL (Arizona League) game I think on Thursday," said manager Kirk Gibson during his pregame media session Tuesday. "He's gonna go probably 60-70 pitches maybe and will see where he goes from there. He may go pitch somewhere after that, so he's coming along."
While on the disabled list, Cahill also experienced some shoulder soreness, so Gibson was hesitant to set an exact timetable for his return to the big league club.
"I'm not sure. See how he goes through this one. I know in his last simulated game he maybe threw 45 pitches or so but it was 105 (degrees) out and he got tired pretty quickly," Gibson said. "We'll see how he goes this time out and go from there. He feels good, says he's feeling better and feeling stronger. His mechanics are better, kinda pain free."
Before landing on the disabled list, the 25-year-old was 3-10 in 17 starts with a 4.66 ERA. Since joining the D-backs in 2012, Cahill is 16-22 with a 4.07 ERA in 49 starts.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.