Updated Jul 23, 2013 - 5:53 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks' Trevor Cahill continues to progress
Cahill is on the 15-day disabled list with a right hip contusion. He was originally injured June 19 against the Marlins on a line drive back to the mound, but was not put on the DL until July 1. Cahill tried to pitch through the injury but it was causing him to mechanically compensate in other areas while pitching.
"Threw a bullpen today, he threw very good and he's going to throw and AZL (Arizona League) game I think on Thursday," said manager Kirk Gibson during his pregame media session Tuesday. "He's gonna go probably 60-70 pitches maybe and will see where he goes from there. He may go pitch somewhere after that, so he's coming along."
While on the disabled list, Cahill also experienced some shoulder soreness, so Gibson was hesitant to set an exact timetable for his return to the big league club.
"I'm not sure. See how he goes through this one. I know in his last simulated game he maybe threw 45 pitches or so but it was 105 (degrees) out and he got tired pretty quickly," Gibson said. "We'll see how he goes this time out and go from there. He feels good, says he's feeling better and feeling stronger. His mechanics are better, kinda pain free."
Before landing on the disabled list, the 25-year-old was 3-10 in 17 starts with a 4.66 ERA. Since joining the D-backs in 2012, Cahill is 16-22 with a 4.07 ERA in 49 starts.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 620
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.