Updated Jul 23, 2013 - 5:53 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks' Trevor Cahill continues to progress
Cahill is on the 15-day disabled list with a right hip contusion. He was originally injured June 19 against the Marlins on a line drive back to the mound, but was not put on the DL until July 1. Cahill tried to pitch through the injury but it was causing him to mechanically compensate in other areas while pitching.
"Threw a bullpen today, he threw very good and he's going to throw and AZL (Arizona League) game I think on Thursday," said manager Kirk Gibson during his pregame media session Tuesday. "He's gonna go probably 60-70 pitches maybe and will see where he goes from there. He may go pitch somewhere after that, so he's coming along."
While on the disabled list, Cahill also experienced some shoulder soreness, so Gibson was hesitant to set an exact timetable for his return to the big league club.
"I'm not sure. See how he goes through this one. I know in his last simulated game he maybe threw 45 pitches or so but it was 105 (degrees) out and he got tired pretty quickly," Gibson said. "We'll see how he goes this time out and go from there. He feels good, says he's feeling better and feeling stronger. His mechanics are better, kinda pain free."
Before landing on the disabled list, the 25-year-old was 3-10 in 17 starts with a 4.66 ERA. Since joining the D-backs in 2012, Cahill is 16-22 with a 4.07 ERA in 49 starts.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.