Updated Jul 23, 2013 - 10:19 pm
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Going to try and use Nieves a little more
Nieves, who is batting .351 with 13 RBI, has appeared in only 32 games this season -- the result of playing behind former All-Star Miguel Montero.
Before the D-backs' game against the Chicago Cubs, Gibson acknowledged that while Nieves has performed admirably in a limited role, he understands that the role of a backup catcher is by no means an easy one.
"It's hard, but you enjoy it though," Gibson said. "But [bullpen coach] Glenn Sherlock keeps them ready. They're blocking all of the time. They throw to bases all of the time.
"Miggy and Wil talk constantly on the bench before [Miggy] goes to the bullpen. He watches the games. He's a veteran guy."
A veteran indeed.
Nieves, who beat out Rod Barajas for the backup catcher spot in spring training, has played parts of 10 seasons with six different teams (Brewers, D-backs, Nationals, Padres, Rockies, and Yankees).
Yet, despite well-exceeding his career averages (.239 batting average and nine RBI) this season, getting time on the field has been a struggle to say the least for the 35-year-old journeyman.
It's a trend Gibson hopes to buck from time-to-time in an effort to keep Montero fresh down the stretch.
"[Montero] has been beaten up," said Gibson. "We're going to get Wil in there. He hasn't caught a ton, and I'm going to try and get him in there occasionally, maybe more than I have in this stretch we've gone through."
If Nieves is used on a slightly more consistent basis, it might not be the worst thing for the D-backs' offense. Despite only having 74 at-bats in 2013, Nieves has seven multi-hit games and two four-hit performances.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.