Updated Jul 23, 2013 - 10:19 pm
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Going to try and use Nieves a little more
Nieves, who is batting .351 with 13 RBI, has appeared in only 32 games this season -- the result of playing behind former All-Star Miguel Montero.
Before the D-backs' game against the Chicago Cubs, Gibson acknowledged that while Nieves has performed admirably in a limited role, he understands that the role of a backup catcher is by no means an easy one.
"It's hard, but you enjoy it though," Gibson said. "But [bullpen coach] Glenn Sherlock keeps them ready. They're blocking all of the time. They throw to bases all of the time.
"Miggy and Wil talk constantly on the bench before [Miggy] goes to the bullpen. He watches the games. He's a veteran guy."
A veteran indeed.
Nieves, who beat out Rod Barajas for the backup catcher spot in spring training, has played parts of 10 seasons with six different teams (Brewers, D-backs, Nationals, Padres, Rockies, and Yankees).
Yet, despite well-exceeding his career averages (.239 batting average and nine RBI) this season, getting time on the field has been a struggle to say the least for the 35-year-old journeyman.
It's a trend Gibson hopes to buck from time-to-time in an effort to keep Montero fresh down the stretch.
"[Montero] has been beaten up," said Gibson. "We're going to get Wil in there. He hasn't caught a ton, and I'm going to try and get him in there occasionally, maybe more than I have in this stretch we've gone through."
If Nieves is used on a slightly more consistent basis, it might not be the worst thing for the D-backs' offense. Despite only having 74 at-bats in 2013, Nieves has seven multi-hit games and two four-hit performances.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.