Updated Jul 25, 2013 - 9:28 am
Diamondbacks GM Towers still confident team can win NL West
And to be fair, they're now only 1.5 games back of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Still, Arizona's struggles combined with L.A.'s success has some wondering if the D-backs, as constructed, can earn a playoff spot.
D-backs general manager Kevin Towers is not one of those people.
"I think we have the right guys, I really do," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday.
Towers, who had a busy offseason remaking a team that won 81 games in 2012, believes the strength of the 2013 D-backs is its chemistry.
"We've got a lot of guys that are underperforming, and I think if you asked them they'd say they are," he said. "But what's kept us together is nobody has hung their head and given up."
In fact, Towers says the team still being in the race despite getting consistent performances from just Paul Goldschmidt and Patrick Corbin is a sign that the team has plenty more to offer.
"I think these guys will rally, they'll come around," he said. "I think that the chemistry of this club and the will not to give in and to continue to be resilient, I think guys will step up, I think they will come together at the right time and I think at the end, we're going to be there.
"I think if you look at us on paper comapred to the Dodgers right now nobody's going to give us a chance but, you know, it was pretty ugly over there two months ago."
Towers added "there is no way" the Dodgers will maintain their current pace the rest of the season, but also admits his team needs to start playing better, too.
"But I think the makeup and the chemistry of the club at the end is going to pay dividends for us."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.