Updated Jul 25, 2013 - 9:28 am
Diamondbacks GM Towers still confident team can win NL West
And to be fair, they're now only 1.5 games back of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Still, Arizona's struggles combined with L.A.'s success has some wondering if the D-backs, as constructed, can earn a playoff spot.
D-backs general manager Kevin Towers is not one of those people.
"I think we have the right guys, I really do," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday.
Towers, who had a busy offseason remaking a team that won 81 games in 2012, believes the strength of the 2013 D-backs is its chemistry.
"We've got a lot of guys that are underperforming, and I think if you asked them they'd say they are," he said. "But what's kept us together is nobody has hung their head and given up."
In fact, Towers says the team still being in the race despite getting consistent performances from just Paul Goldschmidt and Patrick Corbin is a sign that the team has plenty more to offer.
"I think these guys will rally, they'll come around," he said. "I think that the chemistry of this club and the will not to give in and to continue to be resilient, I think guys will step up, I think they will come together at the right time and I think at the end, we're going to be there.
"I think if you look at us on paper comapred to the Dodgers right now nobody's going to give us a chance but, you know, it was pretty ugly over there two months ago."
Towers added "there is no way" the Dodgers will maintain their current pace the rest of the season, but also admits his team needs to start playing better, too.
"But I think the makeup and the chemistry of the club at the end is going to pay dividends for us."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?