Updated Jul 25, 2013 - 9:28 am
Diamondbacks GM Towers still confident team can win NL West
And to be fair, they're now only 1.5 games back of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Still, Arizona's struggles combined with L.A.'s success has some wondering if the D-backs, as constructed, can earn a playoff spot.
D-backs general manager Kevin Towers is not one of those people.
"I think we have the right guys, I really do," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday.
Towers, who had a busy offseason remaking a team that won 81 games in 2012, believes the strength of the 2013 D-backs is its chemistry.
"We've got a lot of guys that are underperforming, and I think if you asked them they'd say they are," he said. "But what's kept us together is nobody has hung their head and given up."
In fact, Towers says the team still being in the race despite getting consistent performances from just Paul Goldschmidt and Patrick Corbin is a sign that the team has plenty more to offer.
"I think these guys will rally, they'll come around," he said. "I think that the chemistry of this club and the will not to give in and to continue to be resilient, I think guys will step up, I think they will come together at the right time and I think at the end, we're going to be there.
"I think if you look at us on paper comapred to the Dodgers right now nobody's going to give us a chance but, you know, it was pretty ugly over there two months ago."
Towers added "there is no way" the Dodgers will maintain their current pace the rest of the season, but also admits his team needs to start playing better, too.
"But I think the makeup and the chemistry of the club at the end is going to pay dividends for us."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.