Updated Jul 25, 2013 - 9:28 am
Diamondbacks GM Towers still confident team can win NL West
And to be fair, they're now only 1.5 games back of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Still, Arizona's struggles combined with L.A.'s success has some wondering if the D-backs, as constructed, can earn a playoff spot.
D-backs general manager Kevin Towers is not one of those people.
"I think we have the right guys, I really do," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday.
Towers, who had a busy offseason remaking a team that won 81 games in 2012, believes the strength of the 2013 D-backs is its chemistry.
"We've got a lot of guys that are underperforming, and I think if you asked them they'd say they are," he said. "But what's kept us together is nobody has hung their head and given up."
In fact, Towers says the team still being in the race despite getting consistent performances from just Paul Goldschmidt and Patrick Corbin is a sign that the team has plenty more to offer.
"I think these guys will rally, they'll come around," he said. "I think that the chemistry of this club and the will not to give in and to continue to be resilient, I think guys will step up, I think they will come together at the right time and I think at the end, we're going to be there.
"I think if you look at us on paper comapred to the Dodgers right now nobody's going to give us a chance but, you know, it was pretty ugly over there two months ago."
Towers added "there is no way" the Dodgers will maintain their current pace the rest of the season, but also admits his team needs to start playing better, too.
"But I think the makeup and the chemistry of the club at the end is going to pay dividends for us."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?