Arizona Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson on Ryan Braun: He's probably 'rehearsing his speech right now'
Braun was suspended Monday by Major League Baseball for the remainder of the 2013 season for evidence against him in the sport's investigation into Anthony Bosch and the Biogenesis clinic.
Nobody has heard a peep from Braun since the penalty was handed down and Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson thinks that needs to change.
"It's interesting we haven't heard from him, I think he does need to get in front of people and answer questions," Gibson told the media during his pregame chat Wednesday. "Something tells me he's rehearsing his speech right now, because he was pretty good at the last one."
Braun tested positive during the 2011 postseason but was not penalized after an arbitrator ruled that his urine sample was not properly handled. The former NL Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year delivered an empassioned speech at Maryvale Baseball Park during spring training in 2012 where he maintained his innocence in the matter.
"For me, all things aside, no matter how anyone feels, I think Braun should get in front of a microphone and address people and answer questions," Gibson said. "Honestly, we really don't know what (he did). So, I think it would be useful to get it out there and then we can kind of go from there.
"I find it interesting that he's not."
ESPN baseball writer Buster Olney suggested this week that Braun owes an apology to the Diamondbacks organization in light of his suspension. Braun hit .500 in Milwaukee's five-game victory over Arizona in the 2011 National League Division Series.
Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday that he doesn't think an apology from the disgraced slugger is necessary.
"I don't think he does," Gibson said. "We had a chance to beat them regardless of what was going on in that series."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.