Arizona Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson on Ryan Braun: He's probably 'rehearsing his speech right now'
Braun was suspended Monday by Major League Baseball for the remainder of the 2013 season for evidence against him in the sport's investigation into Anthony Bosch and the Biogenesis clinic.
Nobody has heard a peep from Braun since the penalty was handed down and Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson thinks that needs to change.
"It's interesting we haven't heard from him, I think he does need to get in front of people and answer questions," Gibson told the media during his pregame chat Wednesday. "Something tells me he's rehearsing his speech right now, because he was pretty good at the last one."
Braun tested positive during the 2011 postseason but was not penalized after an arbitrator ruled that his urine sample was not properly handled. The former NL Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year delivered an empassioned speech at Maryvale Baseball Park during spring training in 2012 where he maintained his innocence in the matter.
"For me, all things aside, no matter how anyone feels, I think Braun should get in front of a microphone and address people and answer questions," Gibson said. "Honestly, we really don't know what (he did). So, I think it would be useful to get it out there and then we can kind of go from there.
"I find it interesting that he's not."
ESPN baseball writer Buster Olney suggested this week that Braun owes an apology to the Diamondbacks organization in light of his suspension. Braun hit .500 in Milwaukee's five-game victory over Arizona in the 2011 National League Division Series.
Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday that he doesn't think an apology from the disgraced slugger is necessary.
"I don't think he does," Gibson said. "We had a chance to beat them regardless of what was going on in that series."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 9When is it time to make changes?