Arizona Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson on Ryan Braun: He's probably 'rehearsing his speech right now'
Braun was suspended Monday by Major League Baseball for the remainder of the 2013 season for evidence against him in the sport's investigation into Anthony Bosch and the Biogenesis clinic.
Nobody has heard a peep from Braun since the penalty was handed down and Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson thinks that needs to change.
"It's interesting we haven't heard from him, I think he does need to get in front of people and answer questions," Gibson told the media during his pregame chat Wednesday. "Something tells me he's rehearsing his speech right now, because he was pretty good at the last one."
Braun tested positive during the 2011 postseason but was not penalized after an arbitrator ruled that his urine sample was not properly handled. The former NL Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year delivered an empassioned speech at Maryvale Baseball Park during spring training in 2012 where he maintained his innocence in the matter.
"For me, all things aside, no matter how anyone feels, I think Braun should get in front of a microphone and address people and answer questions," Gibson said. "Honestly, we really don't know what (he did). So, I think it would be useful to get it out there and then we can kind of go from there.
"I find it interesting that he's not."
ESPN baseball writer Buster Olney suggested this week that Braun owes an apology to the Diamondbacks organization in light of his suspension. Braun hit .500 in Milwaukee's five-game victory over Arizona in the 2011 National League Division Series.
Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday that he doesn't think an apology from the disgraced slugger is necessary.
"I don't think he does," Gibson said. "We had a chance to beat them regardless of what was going on in that series."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.