Arizona Diamondbacks linked to free agent RP Brian Wilson
From 2008 to 2011, he accumulated 163 saves to go along with a 3.00 ERA, and helped lead the Giants to the 2010 World Series championship.
However, an elbow injury that required Tommy John surgery sidelined the right-hander in 2012, and now the free agent pitcher is looking for a team to sign him.
USA Today baseball writer Bob Nightengale tweeted that the D-backs were one of four National League teams -- and nine total squads -- to have interest, and even added that Arizona was considered to be a "strong front runner."
However, Arizona Sports' John Gambadoro says that's not the case.
Diamondbacks not in on free agent reliever Brian Wilson who had Tommy John surgery in April of 2012— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) July 29, 2013
The D-backs are likely a popular pick to land the pitcher due to their bullpen's season-long struggles, and a healthy and effective Wilson would be an excellent resource for manager Kirk Gibson to turn to late in games.
However, there is no telling what kind of pitcher Wilson will be when he returns, and the D-backs may not be too interested in finding out first-hand.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.