Arizona Diamondbacks linked to free agent RP Brian Wilson
From 2008 to 2011, he accumulated 163 saves to go along with a 3.00 ERA, and helped lead the Giants to the 2010 World Series championship.
However, an elbow injury that required Tommy John surgery sidelined the right-hander in 2012, and now the free agent pitcher is looking for a team to sign him.
USA Today baseball writer Bob Nightengale tweeted that the D-backs were one of four National League teams -- and nine total squads -- to have interest, and even added that Arizona was considered to be a "strong front runner."
However, Arizona Sports' John Gambadoro says that's not the case.
Diamondbacks not in on free agent reliever Brian Wilson who had Tommy John surgery in April of 2012— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) July 29, 2013
The D-backs are likely a popular pick to land the pitcher due to their bullpen's season-long struggles, and a healthy and effective Wilson would be an excellent resource for manager Kirk Gibson to turn to late in games.
However, there is no telling what kind of pitcher Wilson will be when he returns, and the D-backs may not be too interested in finding out first-hand.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.