Updated Jul 30, 2013 - 3:15 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson: Jake Peavy rumors not accurate
However, a source who has been in the D-backs' makeshift war room the past few days in Tampa seems to believe a trade for Peavy won't be in the cards for Arizona.
That source happens to be D-backs manager Kirk Gibson.
"I haven't heard anything about that actually," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Tuesday in regards to a potential trade for Peavy. "I was just informed [by the media] that we were the frontrunner, but I walked out of the room at noon, and I hadn't heard his name in two days."
While Peavy, who is 8-4 with a 4.28 ERA in 13 starts this season, has a history with general manager Kevin Towers, Gibson noted that the D-backs don't necessary need to make a move for a starter because they have plenty of rotation options to get them through the rest of the 2013 season.
"We've got [Brandon] McCarthy coming back," said Gibson. "We also have [Trevor] Cahill coming back. [Tyler] Skaggs is a work in progress, and he'll learned more. He'll go down and work on some things, so we have some depth.
"[David] Holmberg has thrown the ball well in the Double-A. Archie Bradley has thrown the ball good. I'm not sure those rumors are as accurate as we think we are."
Whether that's coach speak or not remains to be seen, but as of now, Jake Peavy will not be penciled into the D-backs' rotation.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.