Updated Jul 30, 2013 - 3:15 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson: Jake Peavy rumors not accurate
However, a source who has been in the D-backs' makeshift war room the past few days in Tampa seems to believe a trade for Peavy won't be in the cards for Arizona.
That source happens to be D-backs manager Kirk Gibson.
"I haven't heard anything about that actually," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Tuesday in regards to a potential trade for Peavy. "I was just informed [by the media] that we were the frontrunner, but I walked out of the room at noon, and I hadn't heard his name in two days."
While Peavy, who is 8-4 with a 4.28 ERA in 13 starts this season, has a history with general manager Kevin Towers, Gibson noted that the D-backs don't necessary need to make a move for a starter because they have plenty of rotation options to get them through the rest of the 2013 season.
"We've got [Brandon] McCarthy coming back," said Gibson. "We also have [Trevor] Cahill coming back. [Tyler] Skaggs is a work in progress, and he'll learned more. He'll go down and work on some things, so we have some depth.
"[David] Holmberg has thrown the ball well in the Double-A. Archie Bradley has thrown the ball good. I'm not sure those rumors are as accurate as we think we are."
Whether that's coach speak or not remains to be seen, but as of now, Jake Peavy will not be penciled into the D-backs' rotation.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.