Updated Jul 30, 2013 - 3:15 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson: Jake Peavy rumors not accurate
However, a source who has been in the D-backs' makeshift war room the past few days in Tampa seems to believe a trade for Peavy won't be in the cards for Arizona.
That source happens to be D-backs manager Kirk Gibson.
"I haven't heard anything about that actually," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Tuesday in regards to a potential trade for Peavy. "I was just informed [by the media] that we were the frontrunner, but I walked out of the room at noon, and I hadn't heard his name in two days."
While Peavy, who is 8-4 with a 4.28 ERA in 13 starts this season, has a history with general manager Kevin Towers, Gibson noted that the D-backs don't necessary need to make a move for a starter because they have plenty of rotation options to get them through the rest of the 2013 season.
"We've got [Brandon] McCarthy coming back," said Gibson. "We also have [Trevor] Cahill coming back. [Tyler] Skaggs is a work in progress, and he'll learned more. He'll go down and work on some things, so we have some depth.
"[David] Holmberg has thrown the ball well in the Double-A. Archie Bradley has thrown the ball good. I'm not sure those rumors are as accurate as we think we are."
Whether that's coach speak or not remains to be seen, but as of now, Jake Peavy will not be penciled into the D-backs' rotation.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.