D-backs manager: 'We're not talking about taking' Randall Delgado out of the rotation
In eight starts, the 24-year-old right-hander has gone 3-3 with six quality outings and a 2.85 ERA.
Outside of Patrick Corbin, Delgado has largely been the D-backs' most consistent starting pitcher over the last six weeks and his manager has certainly noticed.
"He's throwing the ball great," Kirk Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "He's got a good arm angle going, throws the ball to both sides of the plate, can throw his fastball and changeup out of both of those slots, and his breaking ball is starting to come. He's athletic, he holds runners and he's handling the bat."
While injured starters Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill are expected to return from the disabled list in the coming days and weeks, Delgado -- who was acquired in the trade that sent Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves back in January -- isn't going anywhere.
"He's in the rotation for now," said Gibson. "We're not even talking about taking him out."
So much for being a temporary fix.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.