D-backs manager: 'We're not talking about taking' Randall Delgado out of the rotation
In eight starts, the 24-year-old right-hander has gone 3-3 with six quality outings and a 2.85 ERA.
Outside of Patrick Corbin, Delgado has largely been the D-backs' most consistent starting pitcher over the last six weeks and his manager has certainly noticed.
"He's throwing the ball great," Kirk Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "He's got a good arm angle going, throws the ball to both sides of the plate, can throw his fastball and changeup out of both of those slots, and his breaking ball is starting to come. He's athletic, he holds runners and he's handling the bat."
While injured starters Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill are expected to return from the disabled list in the coming days and weeks, Delgado -- who was acquired in the trade that sent Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves back in January -- isn't going anywhere.
"He's in the rotation for now," said Gibson. "We're not even talking about taking him out."
So much for being a temporary fix.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.