'Dueling Dinos' found in Montana to be sold in NYC
NEW YORK (AP) - Two fossilized dinosaur skeletons found on a Montana ranch in 2006 are coming up for sale in New York City.
The nearly complete skeletons are billed as the Montana Dueling Dinosaurs.
They'll be offered as a single lot at Bonhams on Nov. 19. The auction house estimates it could bring $7 million to $9 million.
Bonhams says the dinosaurs- a plant eater and a meat-eater- appear to be locked together in mortal combat.
They're being sold by the owners of the ranch where the fossils were found. It's located in the fossil-rich Hell Creek formation, where dinosaurs once roamed.
Each of the specimens is well preserved.
Paleontologists believe one may be a close relative of Tyrannosaurus rex. The other may be a new species similar to a Triceratops.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.