'Dueling Dinos' found in Montana to be sold in NYC
NEW YORK (AP) - Two fossilized dinosaur skeletons found on a Montana ranch in 2006 are coming up for sale in New York City.
The nearly complete skeletons are billed as the Montana Dueling Dinosaurs.
They'll be offered as a single lot at Bonhams on Nov. 19. The auction house estimates it could bring $7 million to $9 million.
Bonhams says the dinosaurs- a plant eater and a meat-eater- appear to be locked together in mortal combat.
They're being sold by the owners of the ranch where the fossils were found. It's located in the fossil-rich Hell Creek formation, where dinosaurs once roamed.
Each of the specimens is well preserved.
Paleontologists believe one may be a close relative of Tyrannosaurus rex. The other may be a new species similar to a Triceratops.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.