Updated Jul 31, 2013 - 1:42 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks trade pitcher Ian Kennedy to San Diego Padres
Now, he's on his way to the San Diego Padres.
The Arizona Diamondbacks announced they have swapped Kennedy for left-handed reliever Joe Thatcher, right-handed pitcher Matt Stites and a competitive balance draft pick, which will come be the first selection of Competitive Balance Round B between the second and third rounds of the 2014 First-Year player Draft.
As good as Kennedy was in 2011, when he won 21 games and had an ERA of 2.88, he's been equally bad this season, as he's just 3-8 with a 5.23 ERA.
He has not won a game since June 1.
In return for the 28-year-old Kennedy the D-backs get the 31-year-old Thatcher, who is 3-1 with a 2.10 ERA this season, and Stites, who is 2-2 with a 2.08 ERA and 14 saves for Double-A San Antonio.
According to Arizona Sports' John Gambadoro, the D-backs may have something in the 23-year-old Stites.
Stites is a big time bullpen prospect could very well be Diamondbacks closer next season, he's that good....— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) July 31, 2013
Here's a video of Stites putting in some work:
It is interesting that the D-backs chose to send Kennedy to a division rival, but given the pitcher's issues it's possible there was not a long list of suitors. So the Padres, with former Arizona general manager Josh Byrnes serving in the same capacity for them, may have been one of the only options.
And keep in mind, Byrnes was the one who originally brought Kennedy to Arizona in the three-way trade that sent Max Scherzer and Daniel Schlereth to Detroit.
In parts of four seasons in Arizona, Kennedy compiled a 48-34 record with a 3.82 ERA.
The @dbacks thank Ian for his time here. Class act and wish he and his family well in the future.— Derrick Hall (@DHallDbacks) July 31, 2013
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.