Oprah helps Booker in US Senate race in NJ
JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) - Oprah Winfrey helped the front-runner in the Democratic primary for New Jersey Senate raise cash while his opponents participated in an NAACP debate.
Winfrey joined Cory Booker in Jersey City for the Thursday fundraiser, where donors paid between $1,000 and $2,600 a head.
Meanwhile, in Newark where Booker is mayor, three candidates competing against Booker answered written questions from the audience about Social Security, Medicare and civil rights issues. Newark NAACP President Deborah Gregory said it would have been great if Booker had brought Winfrey to the forum.
Booker's Democratic opponents criticized him for raising money instead of answering questions. A Booker spokesman said the fundraiser was scheduled before the campaign was invited to the forum.
The candidates are running for the seat of the late Sen. Frank Lautenberg.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.