Yu Darvish dominates D-backs, and that's OK
I completely get what happened. A great pitcher had a great night. A team just off of a two-game series flew in for a quick one-nighter and got shelled before going to Boston. Giving a young player his first start with a rookie catcher against a playoff-caliber team is not a recipe for success. The D-backs didn't wave the white flag last night but it was pretty close.
And I'm OK with that.
Yes, I'm the guy who thinks every day is Game 7. I'm the guy who tries to strategize Candy Land. Now, I'm the guy who accepts losing to Yu Darvish.
I accept it because that's baseball. I accept the loss because that's a tough scenario for any team to succeed. Almost every team in the big leagues would lose a one-game Texas road series in 100 degrees plus humidity against Darvish sandwiched on a scheduled off-day between two road games in other cities.
I go nuts when the D-backs lose to Chris Rusin in his first start. There's nothing to be ashamed of in losing to Darvish. He's an excellent pitcher. Sure, it's hard to justify "grinders" striking out 14 times, but good pitching has always stopped good hitting (it's also a stretch to include the D-backs in the "good hitting" category). It's the losses to "Groping Chad" Gaudin in his first start or laying an egg against Tyson Ross that are the problem.
Games like Thursday are not going to be the reason the D-backs miss the postseason. Playoff teams lose to the "Darvishes" of the world. Playoff teams don't lose to Rusin and Ross.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- A look at the Arizona Diamondbacks' trade deadline acquisitions
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.