Yu Darvish dominates D-backs, and that's OK
I completely get what happened. A great pitcher had a great night. A team just off of a two-game series flew in for a quick one-nighter and got shelled before going to Boston. Giving a young player his first start with a rookie catcher against a playoff-caliber team is not a recipe for success. The D-backs didn't wave the white flag last night but it was pretty close.
And I'm OK with that.
Yes, I'm the guy who thinks every day is Game 7. I'm the guy who tries to strategize Candy Land. Now, I'm the guy who accepts losing to Yu Darvish.
I accept it because that's baseball. I accept the loss because that's a tough scenario for any team to succeed. Almost every team in the big leagues would lose a one-game Texas road series in 100 degrees plus humidity against Darvish sandwiched on a scheduled off-day between two road games in other cities.
I go nuts when the D-backs lose to Chris Rusin in his first start. There's nothing to be ashamed of in losing to Darvish. He's an excellent pitcher. Sure, it's hard to justify "grinders" striking out 14 times, but good pitching has always stopped good hitting (it's also a stretch to include the D-backs in the "good hitting" category). It's the losses to "Groping Chad" Gaudin in his first start or laying an egg against Tyson Ross that are the problem.
Games like Thursday are not going to be the reason the D-backs miss the postseason. Playoff teams lose to the "Darvishes" of the world. Playoff teams don't lose to Rusin and Ross.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.