Yu Darvish dominates D-backs, and that's OK
I completely get what happened. A great pitcher had a great night. A team just off of a two-game series flew in for a quick one-nighter and got shelled before going to Boston. Giving a young player his first start with a rookie catcher against a playoff-caliber team is not a recipe for success. The D-backs didn't wave the white flag last night but it was pretty close.
And I'm OK with that.
Yes, I'm the guy who thinks every day is Game 7. I'm the guy who tries to strategize Candy Land. Now, I'm the guy who accepts losing to Yu Darvish.
I accept it because that's baseball. I accept the loss because that's a tough scenario for any team to succeed. Almost every team in the big leagues would lose a one-game Texas road series in 100 degrees plus humidity against Darvish sandwiched on a scheduled off-day between two road games in other cities.
I go nuts when the D-backs lose to Chris Rusin in his first start. There's nothing to be ashamed of in losing to Darvish. He's an excellent pitcher. Sure, it's hard to justify "grinders" striking out 14 times, but good pitching has always stopped good hitting (it's also a stretch to include the D-backs in the "good hitting" category). It's the losses to "Groping Chad" Gaudin in his first start or laying an egg against Tyson Ross that are the problem.
Games like Thursday are not going to be the reason the D-backs miss the postseason. Playoff teams lose to the "Darvishes" of the world. Playoff teams don't lose to Rusin and Ross.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.