Joe Thatcher excited to be a member of Arizona Diamondbacks
Thatcher was one of the longest-tenured Padres, having made his big league debut all the way back in July of 2007.
But despite his familiarity with the Padres organization, Thatcher told the San Diego media that he's looking forward to something new.
"Things happen and now I get to get back with Kevin Towers again and playing for him -- he's a great GM, and Heath Bell and guys like that," Thatcher said. "It's exciting to get traded, it's a big deal. But it brings excitement, being in a pennant race is exciting, and that's all you can ask for -- that's why you play baseball is a chance to win.
"I'm just looking forward to getting over there and helping out, you know, whatever they need from me."
Playing for a team involved in a pennant race will be a new experience for Thatcher, who saw his Padres team finish with a record above .500 only twice in his seven seasons there.
The fact that Thatcher was traded within the division was also a little surprising -- it was only the fourth deal between the two teams ever. But it's OK with Thatcher.
"You don't see that much, but it's a need that they had and I feel comfortable in this division, obviously," Thatcher said. "I'll be facing a lot of the same guys, which could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing, but I have all the confidence in the world in myself when I get out there so it doesn't really matter who we're facing."
Thatcher, who was 3-1 with a 2.10 ERA in 50 relief appearances with the Padres this season, met up with his new teammates in Texas and could see his first action in a three-game weekend series against the Red Sox which begins Friday night at Fenway Park.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.