Joe Thatcher excited to be a member of Arizona Diamondbacks
Thatcher was one of the longest-tenured Padres, having made his big league debut all the way back in July of 2007.
But despite his familiarity with the Padres organization, Thatcher told the San Diego media that he's looking forward to something new.
"Things happen and now I get to get back with Kevin Towers again and playing for him -- he's a great GM, and Heath Bell and guys like that," Thatcher said. "It's exciting to get traded, it's a big deal. But it brings excitement, being in a pennant race is exciting, and that's all you can ask for -- that's why you play baseball is a chance to win.
"I'm just looking forward to getting over there and helping out, you know, whatever they need from me."
Playing for a team involved in a pennant race will be a new experience for Thatcher, who saw his Padres team finish with a record above .500 only twice in his seven seasons there.
The fact that Thatcher was traded within the division was also a little surprising -- it was only the fourth deal between the two teams ever. But it's OK with Thatcher.
"You don't see that much, but it's a need that they had and I feel comfortable in this division, obviously," Thatcher said. "I'll be facing a lot of the same guys, which could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing, but I have all the confidence in the world in myself when I get out there so it doesn't really matter who we're facing."
Thatcher, who was 3-1 with a 2.10 ERA in 50 relief appearances with the Padres this season, met up with his new teammates in Texas and could see his first action in a three-game weekend series against the Red Sox which begins Friday night at Fenway Park.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.