Joe Thatcher excited to be a member of Arizona Diamondbacks
Thatcher was one of the longest-tenured Padres, having made his big league debut all the way back in July of 2007.
But despite his familiarity with the Padres organization, Thatcher told the San Diego media that he's looking forward to something new.
"Things happen and now I get to get back with Kevin Towers again and playing for him -- he's a great GM, and Heath Bell and guys like that," Thatcher said. "It's exciting to get traded, it's a big deal. But it brings excitement, being in a pennant race is exciting, and that's all you can ask for -- that's why you play baseball is a chance to win.
"I'm just looking forward to getting over there and helping out, you know, whatever they need from me."
Playing for a team involved in a pennant race will be a new experience for Thatcher, who saw his Padres team finish with a record above .500 only twice in his seven seasons there.
The fact that Thatcher was traded within the division was also a little surprising -- it was only the fourth deal between the two teams ever. But it's OK with Thatcher.
"You don't see that much, but it's a need that they had and I feel comfortable in this division, obviously," Thatcher said. "I'll be facing a lot of the same guys, which could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing, but I have all the confidence in the world in myself when I get out there so it doesn't really matter who we're facing."
Thatcher, who was 3-1 with a 2.10 ERA in 50 relief appearances with the Padres this season, met up with his new teammates in Texas and could see his first action in a three-game weekend series against the Red Sox which begins Friday night at Fenway Park.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.