Updated Aug 7, 2013 - 1:37 pm
Diamondbacks' outfielder Cody Ross getting 'back to basics,' seeing post-All-Star surge
The Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder is hitting .377 with 13 RBI in 14 outings since the Midsummer Classic.
With his three-run shot off Tampa Bay's Jeremy Hellickson in a 6-1 D-backs win over the Rays on Tuesday, Ross has hit safely in six of the last eight games and has batted .452 over that time.
"He (Hellickson) left a fastball over the middle," Ross said, "and luckily I was able to get some good wood on it. The last couple of games (against Hellickson) I've hit him well, but previously I was just kind of OK."
Ross, in fact, is now 5-for-11 with five RBI in his career against Hellickson.
The 11-year veteran credits consistent playing time and better patience at the plate for his recent surge.
"The one thing I concentrate on is just being calm and not having too much movement," he said Tuesday. "Sometimes when you get a little too much movement, a lot of stuff can go wrong in your swing.
"That's getting back to basics -- just seeing it and hitting it, as opposed to having to worry about all of the stuff that a lot of us worry about a lot of times at the plate."
Ross also claimed his recent efficiency on offense is nothing new.
"Over the course of my career, I've been able to [produce] when I'm getting consistent at-bats," he said.
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson has noticed the same in change in Ross that the outfielder described.
"He's much calmer at the plate," Gibson said Tuesday. "He's not jumping at the ball as much, and he's barreling it...and he's recognizing (pitches) better."
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.