Updated Aug 7, 2013 - 1:37 pm
Diamondbacks' outfielder Cody Ross getting 'back to basics,' seeing post-All-Star surge
The Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder is hitting .377 with 13 RBI in 14 outings since the Midsummer Classic.
With his three-run shot off Tampa Bay's Jeremy Hellickson in a 6-1 D-backs win over the Rays on Tuesday, Ross has hit safely in six of the last eight games and has batted .452 over that time.
"He (Hellickson) left a fastball over the middle," Ross said, "and luckily I was able to get some good wood on it. The last couple of games (against Hellickson) I've hit him well, but previously I was just kind of OK."
Ross, in fact, is now 5-for-11 with five RBI in his career against Hellickson.
The 11-year veteran credits consistent playing time and better patience at the plate for his recent surge.
"The one thing I concentrate on is just being calm and not having too much movement," he said Tuesday. "Sometimes when you get a little too much movement, a lot of stuff can go wrong in your swing.
"That's getting back to basics -- just seeing it and hitting it, as opposed to having to worry about all of the stuff that a lot of us worry about a lot of times at the plate."
Ross also claimed his recent efficiency on offense is nothing new.
"Over the course of my career, I've been able to [produce] when I'm getting consistent at-bats," he said.
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson has noticed the same in change in Ross that the outfielder described.
"He's much calmer at the plate," Gibson said Tuesday. "He's not jumping at the ball as much, and he's barreling it...and he's recognizing (pitches) better."
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.