Updated Aug 7, 2013 - 1:37 pm
Diamondbacks' outfielder Cody Ross getting 'back to basics,' seeing post-All-Star surge
The Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder is hitting .377 with 13 RBI in 14 outings since the Midsummer Classic.
With his three-run shot off Tampa Bay's Jeremy Hellickson in a 6-1 D-backs win over the Rays on Tuesday, Ross has hit safely in six of the last eight games and has batted .452 over that time.
"He (Hellickson) left a fastball over the middle," Ross said, "and luckily I was able to get some good wood on it. The last couple of games (against Hellickson) I've hit him well, but previously I was just kind of OK."
Ross, in fact, is now 5-for-11 with five RBI in his career against Hellickson.
The 11-year veteran credits consistent playing time and better patience at the plate for his recent surge.
"The one thing I concentrate on is just being calm and not having too much movement," he said Tuesday. "Sometimes when you get a little too much movement, a lot of stuff can go wrong in your swing.
"That's getting back to basics -- just seeing it and hitting it, as opposed to having to worry about all of the stuff that a lot of us worry about a lot of times at the plate."
Ross also claimed his recent efficiency on offense is nothing new.
"Over the course of my career, I've been able to [produce] when I'm getting consistent at-bats," he said.
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson has noticed the same in change in Ross that the outfielder described.
"He's much calmer at the plate," Gibson said Tuesday. "He's not jumping at the ball as much, and he's barreling it...and he's recognizing (pitches) better."
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.