Report: Arizona Diamondbacks coach Matt Williams a candidate to be Washington Nationals manager
According to CBS baseball insider Jon Heyman, third base coach Matt Williams is a candidate to take over for Davey Johnson in Washington next season.
Williams is a bit of a surprise because he doesn't have an extensive managerial background, though he did interview and was a finalist for the Rockies' managing job that went to ex-Rockies player Walt Weiss last winter. Williams managed the Salt River Rafters in the Arizona Fall League. He is an extremely well respected as a coach because of his diligence and team-first attitude.
Williams was hired as the D-backs' first base coach in November 2009, and was moved to third base prior to the 2011 season. He is also a partial owner of the team.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.