Report: Arizona Diamondbacks coach Matt Williams a candidate to be Washington Nationals manager
According to CBS baseball insider Jon Heyman, third base coach Matt Williams is a candidate to take over for Davey Johnson in Washington next season.
Williams is a bit of a surprise because he doesn't have an extensive managerial background, though he did interview and was a finalist for the Rockies' managing job that went to ex-Rockies player Walt Weiss last winter. Williams managed the Salt River Rafters in the Arizona Fall League. He is an extremely well respected as a coach because of his diligence and team-first attitude.
Williams was hired as the D-backs' first base coach in November 2009, and was moved to third base prior to the 2011 season. He is also a partial owner of the team.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?