Arizona Diamondbacks option reliever David Hernandez to Triple-A Reno
The Arizona Diamondbacks have seen enough.
Manager Kirk Gibson announced the D-backs have optioned right-hander David Hernandez to Triple-A Reno following Saturday's 4-1 loss to the Mets.
"He's struggled," said Gibson. "We're going to get him down in a different environment. He's been doing a lot of work since we haven't pitched him as much. He's been doing a lot of work in the bullpen just working on some things. He went out there today, and the game's just kind of been cruel to him."
Hernandez, who has struggled mightily of late, pitched poorly again against New York.
The 28-year-old entered a one-run game in the eighth inning before surrendering two runs on two hits with two walks and a strikeout.
The D-backs' right-hander is 4-6 with an inflated 5.59 ERA and five blown saves for the D-backs this season. He has also allowed runs in five of his last six appearances.
Hernandez's replacement will be announced on Sunday.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.