D-backs place Eric Chavez on DL, call up 3B Matt Davidson, LHP Eury De La Rosa
The Arizona Diamondbacks made a few roster moves on Sunday morning.
Manager Kirk Gibson announced the team placed veteran third baseman Eric Chavez on the DL with knee and hip soreness and promoted third baseman Matt Davidson and left-hander Eury De La Rosa from Triple-A.
The moves come a day after the D-backs optioned right-hander David Hernandez to Triple-A Reno following Saturday night's 4-1 loss to the Mets.
Chavez is batting .299 with nine home runs and 40 RBI in 194 at-bats for Arizona.
Davidson is ranked as the No. 2 prospect in the D-backs' farm system. The third baseman won the MVP of the MLB Futures Game and was the Triple-A HR Derby champion last month.
The 6'2, 225-pounder is hitting .278 with 16 home runs and 68 RBIs for the Reno Aces this season.
De La Rosa, who enjoyed a stint with the D-backs in July, pitched 2.1 scoreless innings and struck out three in two Major League appearances in 2013.
The 23-year-old southpaw is 3-5 with a 5.26 ERA and 49 strikeouts in 49.2 innings pitched for the Aces this year.
- Arizona Diamondbacks to wear special throwback jersey against Chicago Cubs
- Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers says on-field product is his responsibility
- Didi Gregorius off to hot start with Triple-A Reno
- D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
- The Pulse: D-backs having most disappointing April
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.