Updated Aug 12, 2013 - 4:41 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on DL with hip injury
Before the team's game against the Baltimore Orioles Monday, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson hinted that Ross could have surgery Tuesday.
"His hip came out of his socket, and there's a rim around the socket I guess," Gibson said. "A little piece of bone might have chipped off. So they have to clean that up."
Additionally, the Diamondbacks optioned pitcher Zeke Spruill to Triple-A Reno, recalling pitchers Chaz Roe and Tyler Skaggs from the minor league affiliate.
The 32-year-old Ross was hitting .278 with 38 RBI in 94 games for the Diamondbacks this season before the injury, which required hospitalization.
"I don't see how he can be back this year," Gibson said of Ross' timetable. "I think it just depends. I haven't talked to the surgeon, but it's a traumatic injury. There's more details and more that it entails.
"It's not like a guy does his elbow and it's going to be 11 months from now. I think it's a little more complicated than that."
Spruill was 0-2 with a 5.56 ERA in 11.1 IP for the Diamondbacks this season.
For Roe, 26, the call-up is his third stint with the Diamondbacks this season. He is 1-0 with a 5.79 ERA in his previous two stretches with the big league club.
"If we need protection and get in trouble tonight, that's why we brought Skaggs and Roe up," said Gibson. "It'll be temporary probably, because we got nine guys in [the bullpen] and you don't need that."
The left-handed Skaggs is 2-3 in seven starts with the Diamondbacks this season, compiling a 5.45 ERA in 38.2 innings pitched.
"I haven't [been used as a long reliever], but it shouldn't be a big deal," Skaggs said. "I'll just warm up like I'm starting and go out there and do what I've always been doing."
- The Yoke of Leadership
- D-backs' GM Kevin Towers: If improvement doesn't happen, 'heads are gonna roll'
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?