Updated Aug 12, 2013 - 4:41 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on DL with hip injury
Before the team's game against the Baltimore Orioles Monday, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson hinted that Ross could have surgery Tuesday.
"His hip came out of his socket, and there's a rim around the socket I guess," Gibson said. "A little piece of bone might have chipped off. So they have to clean that up."
Additionally, the Diamondbacks optioned pitcher Zeke Spruill to Triple-A Reno, recalling pitchers Chaz Roe and Tyler Skaggs from the minor league affiliate.
The 32-year-old Ross was hitting .278 with 38 RBI in 94 games for the Diamondbacks this season before the injury, which required hospitalization.
"I don't see how he can be back this year," Gibson said of Ross' timetable. "I think it just depends. I haven't talked to the surgeon, but it's a traumatic injury. There's more details and more that it entails.
"It's not like a guy does his elbow and it's going to be 11 months from now. I think it's a little more complicated than that."
Spruill was 0-2 with a 5.56 ERA in 11.1 IP for the Diamondbacks this season.
For Roe, 26, the call-up is his third stint with the Diamondbacks this season. He is 1-0 with a 5.79 ERA in his previous two stretches with the big league club.
"If we need protection and get in trouble tonight, that's why we brought Skaggs and Roe up," said Gibson. "It'll be temporary probably, because we got nine guys in [the bullpen] and you don't need that."
The left-handed Skaggs is 2-3 in seven starts with the Diamondbacks this season, compiling a 5.45 ERA in 38.2 innings pitched.
"I haven't [been used as a long reliever], but it shouldn't be a big deal," Skaggs said. "I'll just warm up like I'm starting and go out there and do what I've always been doing."
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?