Updated Aug 12, 2013 - 5:46 pm
D-backs receive a bit of good health news, Trevor Cahill likely to return to rotation
Coupled with a 9-5 loss to the New York Mets at Chase Field, the team lost two key contributors to the disabled list within a matter of hours -- Eric Chavez (left knee strain) and Cody Ross (dislocated right hip).
Yet forgotten in all the doom and gloom was right-hander Trevor Cahill's third minor league rehab start Sunday night with the Reno Aces.
Cahill, who went on the DL July 1 with a right hip contusion, pitched seven innings in the Aces' 6-4 loss to the Memphis Redbirds and allowed just two runs on five hits, while striking out four.
While his command was a bit suspect in the early going, walking three, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said he was impressed by how the 26-year-old progressively got stronger as they game progressed.
"He actually threw the ball better as the game went on Sunday," Gibson said. "He started out not throwing the ball as consistently but found his slot and threw the ball better. The first three innings were not as good, the last four innings were very good.
"Now we know he's throwing, been building up and going deeper, and he's ready."
Although Gibson noted that the fifth-year veteran was ready to return to action with the big league club, he was less specific on when that exact date would be.
"I didn't talk to him yet today, but we'll see how he feels probably tomorrow," said Gibson. "If he's okay, we will probably move him in [to the rotation]."
With Zeke Spruill being optioned to Triple-A Monday, the logical place for Cahill to make his return would be this weekend when the D-backs take on the Pittsburgh Pirates in a three-game series at PNC Park.
The D-backs right-hander is 3-10 with a 4.66 ERA and 1.41 WHIP on the season. He hasn't won since May 17 against the Miami Marlins.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.