Updated Aug 12, 2013 - 5:46 pm
D-backs receive a bit of good health news, Trevor Cahill likely to return to rotation
Coupled with a 9-5 loss to the New York Mets at Chase Field, the team lost two key contributors to the disabled list within a matter of hours -- Eric Chavez (left knee strain) and Cody Ross (dislocated right hip).
Yet forgotten in all the doom and gloom was right-hander Trevor Cahill's third minor league rehab start Sunday night with the Reno Aces.
Cahill, who went on the DL July 1 with a right hip contusion, pitched seven innings in the Aces' 6-4 loss to the Memphis Redbirds and allowed just two runs on five hits, while striking out four.
While his command was a bit suspect in the early going, walking three, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said he was impressed by how the 26-year-old progressively got stronger as they game progressed.
"He actually threw the ball better as the game went on Sunday," Gibson said. "He started out not throwing the ball as consistently but found his slot and threw the ball better. The first three innings were not as good, the last four innings were very good.
"Now we know he's throwing, been building up and going deeper, and he's ready."
Although Gibson noted that the fifth-year veteran was ready to return to action with the big league club, he was less specific on when that exact date would be.
"I didn't talk to him yet today, but we'll see how he feels probably tomorrow," said Gibson. "If he's okay, we will probably move him in [to the rotation]."
With Zeke Spruill being optioned to Triple-A Monday, the logical place for Cahill to make his return would be this weekend when the D-backs take on the Pittsburgh Pirates in a three-game series at PNC Park.
The D-backs right-hander is 3-10 with a 4.66 ERA and 1.41 WHIP on the season. He hasn't won since May 17 against the Miami Marlins.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.