Updated Aug 13, 2013 - 6:28 pm
Diamondbacks' Gibson: Kubel not 'just a pinch hitter'
That wasn't the case, as Eric Chavez was instead placed on the 15-day disabled list, but, after the veteran outfielder's 2012 season, it's almost unthinkable that he had plummeted so low, to be considered for such a transaction.
On July 22 last year, Kubel had a .300 batting average with a .372 on-base percentage and a .585 slugging percentage to boot. In 85 games with his new team, he already had 21 home runs, 44 extra-base hits, 71 RBI and a .956 OPS.
In 77 games this year, the left fielder is hitting .223 with just five home runs, 14 extra-base hits and 28 RBI. He is slugging .631 with an on-base percentage below .300.
It seems apparent that the player who was snubbed from last year's All-Star Game has been relegated to a pinch-hitting role, but Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo differently on Tuesday.
"I wouldn't call him just a pinch hitter," said Gibson.
"I talked to him yesterday. We talked about some things like, ‘you know, even though you're not starting right now, you have to be ready to play."
The 31-year-old, who is in the final year of his contract with the Diamondbacks, has started just eight games in the second half of the season. He has had only 35 plate appearances in that span, during which he is batting .118 with a .176 slugging percentage and 11 strikeouts.
"He needs to be ready for an opportunity," Gibson continued.
"He's prepared for that."
Kubel has reportedly been battling knee soreness dating back to spring training.
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.