Updated Aug 13, 2013 - 6:28 pm
Diamondbacks' Gibson: Kubel not 'just a pinch hitter'
That wasn't the case, as Eric Chavez was instead placed on the 15-day disabled list, but, after the veteran outfielder's 2012 season, it's almost unthinkable that he had plummeted so low, to be considered for such a transaction.
On July 22 last year, Kubel had a .300 batting average with a .372 on-base percentage and a .585 slugging percentage to boot. In 85 games with his new team, he already had 21 home runs, 44 extra-base hits, 71 RBI and a .956 OPS.
In 77 games this year, the left fielder is hitting .223 with just five home runs, 14 extra-base hits and 28 RBI. He is slugging .631 with an on-base percentage below .300.
It seems apparent that the player who was snubbed from last year's All-Star Game has been relegated to a pinch-hitting role, but Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo differently on Tuesday.
"I wouldn't call him just a pinch hitter," said Gibson.
"I talked to him yesterday. We talked about some things like, ‘you know, even though you're not starting right now, you have to be ready to play."
The 31-year-old, who is in the final year of his contract with the Diamondbacks, has started just eight games in the second half of the season. He has had only 35 plate appearances in that span, during which he is batting .118 with a .176 slugging percentage and 11 strikeouts.
"He needs to be ready for an opportunity," Gibson continued.
"He's prepared for that."
Kubel has reportedly been battling knee soreness dating back to spring training.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.