Crews begin work to restore vandalized RI mural
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - Efforts are underway to restore a Rhode Island highway mural created by a renowned children's book author and illustrator as part of a program to reduce vandalism after it was covered with graffiti.
The Providence Journal reports ( http://bit.ly/16i1U1D) crews worked Friday to remove the red graffiti.
The mural was designed by David Macaulay and was completed in June. It gives the illusion of a row of arches in front of a series of statues.
Macaulay tells the newspaper graffiti were inevitable and getting rid of them might invite an endless fight with vandals.
He suggests an "edit" to remove graffiti from the spaces between the arches, leaving just the arches vandalized. He says it might add to his idea.
Among Macaulay's best-known books is "The Way Things Work," an amusing look at everything from cars to computers.
Information from: The Providence Journal, http://www.providencejournal.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.