Updated Aug 15, 2013 - 2:45 pm
Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall weighs in on instant replay changes
Once the expansion is implemented, instant replay options will be available for virtually every play except strike zone calls, with each team's manager being able to issue as many as three challenges per game.
During an interview Thursday with Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, just moments before Selig made the announcement, Arizona Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said he was on board with the changes that are coming to the game.
"As I've said all along, I think if you have the technology, why not use it to get the calls right?" Hall said. "There's no reason why fans sitting at home watching on TV, or in our suites or with their handhelds can watch the replay and decide whether the call was right or wrong yet the umpires don't have that ability."
Hall added that instant replay should be used in a way that enhances the game but doesn't hurt the speed of it.
MLB owners will make an official vote on the proposal in November. According to the Associated Press, the proposal will need a 75 percent vote of approval, and the players' association would have to agree to those changes.
Hall said the umpires' union would also have to agree to the proposed rule changes.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.