Updated Aug 15, 2013 - 2:45 pm
Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall weighs in on instant replay changes
Once the expansion is implemented, instant replay options will be available for virtually every play except strike zone calls, with each team's manager being able to issue as many as three challenges per game.
During an interview Thursday with Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, just moments before Selig made the announcement, Arizona Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said he was on board with the changes that are coming to the game.
"As I've said all along, I think if you have the technology, why not use it to get the calls right?" Hall said. "There's no reason why fans sitting at home watching on TV, or in our suites or with their handhelds can watch the replay and decide whether the call was right or wrong yet the umpires don't have that ability."
Hall added that instant replay should be used in a way that enhances the game but doesn't hurt the speed of it.
MLB owners will make an official vote on the proposal in November. According to the Associated Press, the proposal will need a 75 percent vote of approval, and the players' association would have to agree to those changes.
Hall said the umpires' union would also have to agree to the proposed rule changes.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.