Updated Aug 15, 2013 - 2:45 pm
Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall weighs in on instant replay changes
Once the expansion is implemented, instant replay options will be available for virtually every play except strike zone calls, with each team's manager being able to issue as many as three challenges per game.
During an interview Thursday with Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, just moments before Selig made the announcement, Arizona Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said he was on board with the changes that are coming to the game.
"As I've said all along, I think if you have the technology, why not use it to get the calls right?" Hall said. "There's no reason why fans sitting at home watching on TV, or in our suites or with their handhelds can watch the replay and decide whether the call was right or wrong yet the umpires don't have that ability."
Hall added that instant replay should be used in a way that enhances the game but doesn't hurt the speed of it.
MLB owners will make an official vote on the proposal in November. According to the Associated Press, the proposal will need a 75 percent vote of approval, and the players' association would have to agree to those changes.
Hall said the umpires' union would also have to agree to the proposed rule changes.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.