1 dead following bus crash near Disney's Epcot
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) - A woman was killed Friday when her car was rear-ended by a bus near Walt Disney World's Epcot theme park, authorities said.
The Florida Highway Patrol reported that a Disney's Magical Express bus struck the woman's car Friday afternoon. Witnesses said the car had stopped in the middle of the road, and the bus was unable to brake.
According to a police report, the 63-year-old woman who had been driving the car was taken to Celebration Health in Kissimmee. She was later pronounced dead. The highway patrol didn't immediately identify the victim.
The bus was carrying 36 passengers. Two others were hospitalized with minor injuries.
No charges were immediately filed.
Disney's Magical Express is a complimentary shuttle service that transports guests between the airport and the resort. It is operated by Mears Transportation.
"We are saddened by today's tragic accident and offer our heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of the driver who passed away," Disney spokeswoman Marilyn Waters said in a statement. "In addition, we are providing support to the passengers on the bus."
Mears said it was cooperating fully with the highway patrol.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.