Review: Hurwitz delivers exciting `Tell No Lies'
(AP) - "Tell No Lies" (St. Martin's Press), by Gregg Hurwitz
A race to stop a killer begins when a piece of mail is delivered to the wrong person in "Tell No Lies," the latest thriller from Gregg Hurwitz.
Daniel Brasher gave up a high-paying job to marry the woman of his dreams. She successfully battled a rare form of cancer and now works as a community organizer. They love each other and are happy together.
Then a piece of mail with no return address arrives in Daniel's inbox at work. It warns him to admit what he's done or he'll bleed for it. There's a deadline, but that deadline has passed. Daniel shows the letter to his wife. They search for the recipient's name on the Internet and discover that he's been murdered. Other pieces of mail with deadlines are delivered to Daniel's inbox. He must convince the police that the threats are real.
Hurwitz has a gift for creating characters and elaborate plots that start with something simple and then explode. In "Tell No Lies," the setting is San Francisco instead of his usual Los Angeles area, and he wraps the story in the landscape of the region, making the city a character as well.
Menace, treachery and intrigue have never been more exciting.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.