Review: Hurwitz delivers exciting `Tell No Lies'
(AP) - "Tell No Lies" (St. Martin's Press), by Gregg Hurwitz
A race to stop a killer begins when a piece of mail is delivered to the wrong person in "Tell No Lies," the latest thriller from Gregg Hurwitz.
Daniel Brasher gave up a high-paying job to marry the woman of his dreams. She successfully battled a rare form of cancer and now works as a community organizer. They love each other and are happy together.
Then a piece of mail with no return address arrives in Daniel's inbox at work. It warns him to admit what he's done or he'll bleed for it. There's a deadline, but that deadline has passed. Daniel shows the letter to his wife. They search for the recipient's name on the Internet and discover that he's been murdered. Other pieces of mail with deadlines are delivered to Daniel's inbox. He must convince the police that the threats are real.
Hurwitz has a gift for creating characters and elaborate plots that start with something simple and then explode. In "Tell No Lies," the setting is San Francisco instead of his usual Los Angeles area, and he wraps the story in the landscape of the region, making the city a character as well.
Menace, treachery and intrigue have never been more exciting.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.