Tony Bennett to attend March on Washington
NEW YORK (AP) - Tony Bennett plans to travel to the nation's capital to pay tribute to Martin Luther King Jr. as the March on Washington marks its 50th year.
Bennett, who marched with the civil rights leader in Selma, Ala., in 1965, is scheduled to perform as part of Saturday's festivities commemorating the historic march and King's "I Have A Dream" speech at the Lincoln Memorial.
The entertainer said Thursday he wants to honor King's humanitarian message, but will also be in Washington as part of the Voices Against Violence campaign that is pushing for gun limits.
The Rev. Al Sharpton is holding an event on Saturday with King's son, Martin Luther King III. And President Barack Obama will speak on the actual anniversary day Wednesday.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.