Updated Aug 26, 2013 - 9:45 am
Statistical projections set Diamondbacks' postseason odds extremely low
While the Diamondbacks have played mostly mediocre baseball all season, barely keeping their head above .500, with just 33 games to play, their chances at a postseason berth are getting increasingly slim.
In a quick survey of three sites which feature playoff projections, the Diamondbacks' highest percentage at the playoffs is set at 9.9%.
ESPN: 9.9% chance of making the playoffs
Baseball Prospectus: 3.1% chance of making the playoffs
FanGraphs: 82-80 win-loss record; 13 games back of Dodgers in NL West, 7 games back of Cincinnati Reds in NL Wild Card
One site, Baseball Prospectus, projects the Diamondbacks to finish below .500, at 80-82.
The Diamondbacks face the Philadelphia Phillies Saturday, carrying a 65-62 record into the contest and trailing the Dodgers by 11 games in the NL West and the Reds by 6.5 games in the race for the second NL Wild Card.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.