Updated Aug 26, 2013 - 9:45 am
Statistical projections set Diamondbacks' postseason odds extremely low
While the Diamondbacks have played mostly mediocre baseball all season, barely keeping their head above .500, with just 33 games to play, their chances at a postseason berth are getting increasingly slim.
In a quick survey of three sites which feature playoff projections, the Diamondbacks' highest percentage at the playoffs is set at 9.9%.
ESPN: 9.9% chance of making the playoffs
Baseball Prospectus: 3.1% chance of making the playoffs
FanGraphs: 82-80 win-loss record; 13 games back of Dodgers in NL West, 7 games back of Cincinnati Reds in NL Wild Card
One site, Baseball Prospectus, projects the Diamondbacks to finish below .500, at 80-82.
The Diamondbacks face the Philadelphia Phillies Saturday, carrying a 65-62 record into the contest and trailing the Dodgers by 11 games in the NL West and the Reds by 6.5 games in the race for the second NL Wild Card.
- The Yoke of Leadership
- D-backs' GM Kevin Towers: If improvement doesn't happen, 'heads are gonna roll'
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?