Michelle Obama, daughters see 2 Broadway shows
NEW YORK (AP) - Michelle Obama and her daughters caught two Broadway shows over the weekend- "The Trip to Bountiful" and "Motown the Musical."
The first lady and Malia and Sasha saw the Horton Foote revival on Saturday and the Berry Gordy bio the next night. The audience at both shows gave them standing ovations.
At "The Trip to Bountiful," the trio went back stage after the show and met the crew and cast, including Cicely Tyson, Vanessa Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr.
The first lady was in town to promote her "Let's Move" campaign during Arthur Ashe Kids' Day at the U.S. Open.
The Obamas have been big boosters of Broadway. The first lady and Sasha and Malia have attended performances of "Memphis," "Sister Act" and "The Addams Family." And the first couple saw "Joe Turner's Come and Gone" during a date night in 2009. Michelle Obama and six girlfriends also saw "Fela!" in 2010.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.