Arizona Diamondbacks' Martin Prado attributes turnaround to comfort -- and his mother
Having come to the Arizona Diamondbacks from the Atlanta Braves by way of a blockbuster trade, he likely tried too hard to impress a new group of people.
So, when he hit .217 in April, things were bad. His play picked up in May, as he hit .313, but when he batted just .209 in June it seemed like this season would go down as one of the worst in his eight-year Major League Baseball career.
"In the past, in baseball, when somebody got traded it's a transition that, actually, people don't see," Prado told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "It's kind of hard. You're going to change your routine, you change your city, change your people, you've got to get to know everybody."
Prado said the quicker one can adjust to it all the better, but it took a little longer because he was working so hard to fit in.
Things turned around for Prado in July, though, and he's been one of the National League's best hitters since the All-Star break.
He attributes much of his newfound success to his mother, who moved to Arizona the day after the All-Star break and has been with him the last couple months.
Saying that his mom was always there for him after a rough game when he was a child, Prado said her being around now for extra support has been real helpful.
"When you hear...the way she talks...she's got the right things at that moment that make you feel better," Prado said. "There's nothing better than that."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.