David Holmberg struggles in major league debut for Arizona Diamondbacks
David Holmberg struggled in his big league debut for the Arizona Diamondbacks against the San Diego Padres on Tuesday night at Chase Field.
The 22-year-old southpaw's nerves were apparent during a rocky first inning. He allowed three runs on four hits with one walk and no strikeouts in the opening frame.
Holmberg never quite found his groove, laboring through 3.2 innings of work. He surrendered three runs on six hits with three walks and no strikeouts on the night.
"I was excited, I had a good time out there," Holmberg said following Arizona's 10-9 win Tuesday. "It was good to see the fans out there, and after that first pitch, I kind of settled in and it was good from there."
The left-hander went 5-7 with a 2.66 ERA with 115 strikeouts and 47 walks in 152.1 innings pitched for the Double-A Mobile BayBears.
The D-backs acquired Holmberg from the Chicago White Sox in a trade that brought Daniel Hudson to Arizona in 2010.
Holmberg became the fifth pitcher in the D-backs' system to make his major league debut in 2013.
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.