David Holmberg struggles in major league debut for Arizona Diamondbacks
David Holmberg struggled in his big league debut for the Arizona Diamondbacks against the San Diego Padres on Tuesday night at Chase Field.
The 22-year-old southpaw's nerves were apparent during a rocky first inning. He allowed three runs on four hits with one walk and no strikeouts in the opening frame.
Holmberg never quite found his groove, laboring through 3.2 innings of work. He surrendered three runs on six hits with three walks and no strikeouts on the night.
"I was excited, I had a good time out there," Holmberg said following Arizona's 10-9 win Tuesday. "It was good to see the fans out there, and after that first pitch, I kind of settled in and it was good from there."
The left-hander went 5-7 with a 2.66 ERA with 115 strikeouts and 47 walks in 152.1 innings pitched for the Double-A Mobile BayBears.
The D-backs acquired Holmberg from the Chicago White Sox in a trade that brought Daniel Hudson to Arizona in 2010.
Holmberg became the fifth pitcher in the D-backs' system to make his major league debut in 2013.
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.