David Holmberg struggles in major league debut for Arizona Diamondbacks
David Holmberg struggled in his big league debut for the Arizona Diamondbacks against the San Diego Padres on Tuesday night at Chase Field.
The 22-year-old southpaw's nerves were apparent during a rocky first inning. He allowed three runs on four hits with one walk and no strikeouts in the opening frame.
Holmberg never quite found his groove, laboring through 3.2 innings of work. He surrendered three runs on six hits with three walks and no strikeouts on the night.
"I was excited, I had a good time out there," Holmberg said following Arizona's 10-9 win Tuesday. "It was good to see the fans out there, and after that first pitch, I kind of settled in and it was good from there."
The left-hander went 5-7 with a 2.66 ERA with 115 strikeouts and 47 walks in 152.1 innings pitched for the Double-A Mobile BayBears.
The D-backs acquired Holmberg from the Chicago White Sox in a trade that brought Daniel Hudson to Arizona in 2010.
Holmberg became the fifth pitcher in the D-backs' system to make his major league debut in 2013.
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.