Updated Aug 28, 2013 - 11:22 am
D-backs GM: Bullpen's failures wear on everyday players
But while his relievers have combined for the most blown saves in all of baseball (26), they've also helped the D-backs to a 15-5 record in extra-inning games.
The 'pen has failed -- repeatedly. It has also then bounced back -- repeatedly.
"We've got the type of team that won't give up," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "Over a period of time it wears on everybody.
"It wears on the everyday players -- the extra innings that they have to be out there."
And that doesn't even include the amount of innings the pitchers themselves have been forced to throw, which is a number that leads baseball by a substantial margin.
Towers noted that the home run has really hurt his relievers, and it's true. The bullpen has allowed 42 long balls this season, with Heath Bell and David Hernandez leading the way with 10 apiece.
That wasn't what cost the team Tuesday, as the Padres used a combination of walks and hits to come back to tie the game twice in the late innings.
And sure, the D-backs went on to win in the 10th inning, but Towers would certainly rather see his team lock down leads and win in regulation.
"It's been one guy, usually, giving up maybe one walk and a long ball," he said of what's ailed the 'pen. "If we could somehow get those same guys, get them to keep the ball in the ballpark, the bullpen should straighten out."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.