Updated Aug 28, 2013 - 11:22 am
D-backs GM: Bullpen's failures wear on everyday players
But while his relievers have combined for the most blown saves in all of baseball (26), they've also helped the D-backs to a 15-5 record in extra-inning games.
The 'pen has failed -- repeatedly. It has also then bounced back -- repeatedly.
"We've got the type of team that won't give up," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "Over a period of time it wears on everybody.
"It wears on the everyday players -- the extra innings that they have to be out there."
And that doesn't even include the amount of innings the pitchers themselves have been forced to throw, which is a number that leads baseball by a substantial margin.
Towers noted that the home run has really hurt his relievers, and it's true. The bullpen has allowed 42 long balls this season, with Heath Bell and David Hernandez leading the way with 10 apiece.
That wasn't what cost the team Tuesday, as the Padres used a combination of walks and hits to come back to tie the game twice in the late innings.
And sure, the D-backs went on to win in the 10th inning, but Towers would certainly rather see his team lock down leads and win in regulation.
"It's been one guy, usually, giving up maybe one walk and a long ball," he said of what's ailed the 'pen. "If we could somehow get those same guys, get them to keep the ball in the ballpark, the bullpen should straighten out."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.