D-backs GM Towers: Heath Bell is a 'nice guy to have'
Right behind Johnson on the blown saves list is Tampa Bay's Fernando Rodney, who has 30 saves to go along with eight blown chances.
In a tie for third place is Arizona's Heath Bell, who has seven blown seven saves this year.
However, that does not mean D-backs GM Kevin Towers has soured on the 35-year-old pitcher, whom he calls "everybody's whipping boy."
"People like to beat up on Heath Bell but he's a nice guy to have," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "You can't put a price on a guy that, each and every night, he's going to take the ball."
The D-backs, who traded for Bell in the offseason, owe the reliever $13 million for 2013 and 2014.
Bell has appeared in 60 games thus far in his first season with the D-backs. He has a 5-2 record to go along with a 3.81 ERA. He's struck out 63 batters in 56.2 innings pitched while allowing 10 home runs.
The veteran has had stretches where he's been downright dominant, but he's also had times where he's been really hittable. It's averaged out some, and the way Towers sees it, Bell's versatility and stamina make him as valuable as many other pitchers who may be having a bit more success.
"Is he the Heath Bell that he was when I had him in San Diego, probably not," Towers stated. "But I still don't think he's quite as bad as everybody thinks he is and I'm glad we have him at times."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?