Ian Kennedy talks about facing Diamondbacks for first time
Given the recency of the trade and how long he played for the D-backs, Kennedy said there was an unusual atmosphere for the game.
"It was only what, three weeks ago, maybe a little over that I had been traded," Kennedy told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley with Vince Marotta on Wednesday. "I described it like a more intense spring training game or intrasquad-type thing. It was so fresh since I was just teammates with those guys."
Kennedy said it didn't really kick in until Paul Goldschmidt came to hit.
"I have friends on other teams but it's different when you play with them for so long," Kennedy said. "You would play with a guy, like I became pretty good friends with Lyle Overbay and I pitched against him, but it's not like the whole lineup. It's one guy."
Padres manager Bud Black was very helpful according to Kennedy, as he pulled the pitcher aside before the game and tried to walk him through what it was going to be like.
Kennedy said his skipper told him it was going to be different, and that while there were going to be some smiles, the best thing to do is just make the "weirdness" go away a little quicker.
Kennedy added he's happy to be in San Diego, saying, "If you're going to live anywhere I guess, you're going to live in San Diego." He's also appreciated having a different set of coaches and players work with him to help improve his performance on the mound.
The D-backs play at San Diego September 23-26, so there's a strong chance Kennedy could face his former club again this season.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.