Ian Kennedy talks about facing Diamondbacks for first time
Given the recency of the trade and how long he played for the D-backs, Kennedy said there was an unusual atmosphere for the game.
"It was only what, three weeks ago, maybe a little over that I had been traded," Kennedy told Arizona Sports 620's Dan Bickley with Vince Marotta on Wednesday. "I described it like a more intense spring training game or intrasquad-type thing. It was so fresh since I was just teammates with those guys."
Kennedy said it didn't really kick in until Paul Goldschmidt came to hit.
"I have friends on other teams but it's different when you play with them for so long," Kennedy said. "You would play with a guy, like I became pretty good friends with Lyle Overbay and I pitched against him, but it's not like the whole lineup. It's one guy."
Padres manager Bud Black was very helpful according to Kennedy, as he pulled the pitcher aside before the game and tried to walk him through what it was going to be like.
Kennedy said his skipper told him it was going to be different, and that while there were going to be some smiles, the best thing to do is just make the "weirdness" go away a little quicker.
Kennedy added he's happy to be in San Diego, saying, "If you're going to live anywhere I guess, you're going to live in San Diego." He's also appreciated having a different set of coaches and players work with him to help improve his performance on the mound.
The D-backs play at San Diego September 23-26, so there's a strong chance Kennedy could face his former club again this season.
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.