ESPN's Tim Kurkjian praises Diamondbacks' Martin Prado, Didi Gregorius
When asked about Prado, Kurkjian talked about the effect he has on the rest of the lineup when he gets going.
"I know Martin Prado, how much he meant to the Braves over the years," Kurkjian said. "Chipper Jones told me many times, when he starts hitting the whole team does. It's a gift he has, a real effect, and I think you see it with this team."
Since the All-Star break, Prado is hitting .361 and has 16 walks to only 9 strikeouts. Prado came over in the trade that sent Justin Upton and Chris Johnson to the Atlanta Braves.
The topic was raised in response to Gambo's column on ArizonaSports.com that gave D-backs general manager Kevin Towers positive grades on the deals that landed the players.
Regarding Gregorius, whom the D-backs acquired for pitcher Trevor Bauer, Kurkjain brought up his defensive value and pointed at how few hitters hit .300 in today's MLB.
"The point is teams have gone back to pitching and defense and if you can't catch it anymore, especially at the key skill positions, you are simply not going to win," Kurkjian said. "And Didi Gregorius, he can catch the ball, he can throw it and he can get to it."
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.