D-backs recall pitchers David Hernandez, Tony Sipp in first wave of September call-ups
Both players began the season with the big league club, but struggled over the course of the season, with Hernandez accumulating a 5.59 ERA with five blown saves (six losses) while Sipp had a 3.94 ERA with the Diamondbacks, allowing 31% of the runners he inherited to score.
General manager Kevin Towers and the Diamondbacks optioned Hernandez to Reno on August 11. While with the Aces, the 28-year-old Hernandez tallied 12 strikeouts in 9.2 innings pitched, compiling a 0.93 ERA with two saves.
Sipp, 30, was designated for assignment earlier in the season, then optioned to Reno on August 4. There, he managed to hold opponents scoreless in eight of his nine appearances, compiling a 0.90 ERA in 10.0 innings pitched while striking out 12.
Following the moves, the Diamondbacks' active roster stands at 27.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.