D-backs recall pitchers David Hernandez, Tony Sipp in first wave of September call-ups
Both players began the season with the big league club, but struggled over the course of the season, with Hernandez accumulating a 5.59 ERA with five blown saves (six losses) while Sipp had a 3.94 ERA with the Diamondbacks, allowing 31% of the runners he inherited to score.
General manager Kevin Towers and the Diamondbacks optioned Hernandez to Reno on August 11. While with the Aces, the 28-year-old Hernandez tallied 12 strikeouts in 9.2 innings pitched, compiling a 0.93 ERA with two saves.
Sipp, 30, was designated for assignment earlier in the season, then optioned to Reno on August 4. There, he managed to hold opponents scoreless in eight of his nine appearances, compiling a 0.90 ERA in 10.0 innings pitched while striking out 12.
Following the moves, the Diamondbacks' active roster stands at 27.
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.