D-backs manager says Chris Owings deserves to be with the team
Owings was in the clubhouse and is available to play, but manager Kirk Gibson wouldn't commit to how much playing time Owings will see while with the D-backs.
"He just got here today, we'll see how the guys are playing, who's hurt, who's not hurt, who's on the mound. I'm not going to put him into a situation that I think would be tough on him," said Gibson when asked about the 22-year-old during his pre-game media session Tuesday. "He's going to be obviously excited and I think initially get him in here and get him adjusted to the schedule and what goes on and get him comfortable first. I mean, he may go into the game tonight, I'm not saying he will but I did not think about starting him tonight."
Owings has built quite the resume since joining the D-backs in 2009 as Arizona's supplemental first-round selection, number 41 overall.
"You guys know him pretty well; he's been in the organization. He's played shortstop and second base down there this year, MVP, rookie of the year. It's just been a progression of development throughout the organization," said Gibson of why he likes Owings.
As Gibson said, Owings was named the 2013 Pacific Coast League MVP and Rookie of the year after batting .330 with 31 doubles, eight triples, 12 home runs and 81 RBIs in 125 games for the Aces.
"He deserved to come here and we have an urge and a need to see him up here in this environment and we know he can benefit from being up here," Gibson added. "There will probably be a spot or two where he can probably help us and we'll try to get him into those situations."
Owings also finished the season leading the PCL in hits, runs scored and total bases. He'll wear number 16 for the Diamondbacks.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.