Arizona Diamondbacks' Martin Prado wins NL Player of the Month
During August, Prado led the NL in RBI and hits with 30 and 43, respectively, over his 28 games played. He had 65 total bases, second most in the NL, and scored 19 runs on the month as well.
Additionally, Prado had the lowest strikeout rate, 5.5%, among hitters with at least 50 plate appearances and ranked fourth in WAR at 1.5, according to Fangraphs.com.
Some of the highlights of Prado's impressive month included two four-hit games and four consecutive games with multiple RBI. He also had the most RBI in any month by a Diamondback since Luis Gonzalez knocked in 35 runners in June 2001.
The players Prado beat out for the award included Washington's Jayson Werth, Pittsburgh's Andrew McCutchen and San Francisco's Brandon Belt.
Prado is in his first year with the D-backs after being acquired from Atlanta in the Justin Upton trade made prior to the season. This is the first time in his career Prado has been selected for a monthly award.
Over in the American League, Miguel Cabrera won the award after sporting a .356 batting average to go along with his 11 home runs and 31 RBI in 27 games.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?