Arizona Diamondbacks' Martin Prado wins NL Player of the Month
During August, Prado led the NL in RBI and hits with 30 and 43, respectively, over his 28 games played. He had 65 total bases, second most in the NL, and scored 19 runs on the month as well.
Additionally, Prado had the lowest strikeout rate, 5.5%, among hitters with at least 50 plate appearances and ranked fourth in WAR at 1.5, according to Fangraphs.com.
Some of the highlights of Prado's impressive month included two four-hit games and four consecutive games with multiple RBI. He also had the most RBI in any month by a Diamondback since Luis Gonzalez knocked in 35 runners in June 2001.
The players Prado beat out for the award included Washington's Jayson Werth, Pittsburgh's Andrew McCutchen and San Francisco's Brandon Belt.
Prado is in his first year with the D-backs after being acquired from Atlanta in the Justin Upton trade made prior to the season. This is the first time in his career Prado has been selected for a monthly award.
Over in the American League, Miguel Cabrera won the award after sporting a .356 batting average to go along with his 11 home runs and 31 RBI in 27 games.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.