Diamondbacks beat Dodgers 4-1 to stop 5-game skid
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Paul Goldschmidt went 4 for 5 and drove in a pair of runs to help the Arizona Diamondbacks beat Los Angeles 4-1 Wednesday night, snapping a five-game skid against the Dodgers and avoiding a sweep.
Patrick Corbin (14-6) ended a three-game losing streak while improving to 2-0 in three starts at Dodger Stadium. The left-hander allowed one run and eight hits in 6 1-3 innings, striking out two and walking two.
Brad Ziegler pitched the ninth to earn his 10th save in 12 chances.
Hyun-Jin Ryu (13-6) gave up three runs and 10 hits- his second-most this season- while striking out one and walking none in his first start since Aug. 30. The left-hander missed his scheduled start last Friday because of a stiff back.
Willie Bloomquist was 3 for 5 with a run scored for Arizona. A.J. Pollock and Tuffy Gosewisch both were 2 for 4 with a run scored.
Arizona took a 2-0 lead in the first on Goldschmidt's RBI single, the third in a row given up by Ryu to open the game, and Martin Prado's double-play groundout.
Gosewisch's RBI double in the second made it 3-0.
Goldschmidt's RBI single off Brian Wilson in the seventh scored Gosewisch, who doubled off Brandon League, extending Arizona's lead to 4-0.
Los Angeles got its only run on Yasiel Puig's 16th homer, a towering shot into the Dodgers' bullpen in left, in the seventh.
Notes: The Dodgers turned four double plays. ... The Dodgers selected the contract of LHP Onelki Garcia from Triple-A Albuquerque and transferred RHP Shawn Tolleson to the 60-day DL. Garcia, who made his major league debut in the ninth, is expected to provide extra protection in the bullpen for leftys Paco Rodriguez and J.P. Howell. ... Corbin needs one start for 30 and three innings to reach 200, which would make him the youngest D-backs lefty in club history to do so. ... The 12th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks was marked by a moment of silence, a helicopter flyover and first responders lined up on the first and third base lines during pre-game ceremonies.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.