Diamondbacks beat Dodgers 4-1 to stop 5-game skid
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Paul Goldschmidt went 4 for 5 and drove in a pair of runs to help the Arizona Diamondbacks beat Los Angeles 4-1 Wednesday night, snapping a five-game skid against the Dodgers and avoiding a sweep.
Patrick Corbin (14-6) ended a three-game losing streak while improving to 2-0 in three starts at Dodger Stadium. The left-hander allowed one run and eight hits in 6 1-3 innings, striking out two and walking two.
Brad Ziegler pitched the ninth to earn his 10th save in 12 chances.
Hyun-Jin Ryu (13-6) gave up three runs and 10 hits- his second-most this season- while striking out one and walking none in his first start since Aug. 30. The left-hander missed his scheduled start last Friday because of a stiff back.
Willie Bloomquist was 3 for 5 with a run scored for Arizona. A.J. Pollock and Tuffy Gosewisch both were 2 for 4 with a run scored.
Arizona took a 2-0 lead in the first on Goldschmidt's RBI single, the third in a row given up by Ryu to open the game, and Martin Prado's double-play groundout.
Gosewisch's RBI double in the second made it 3-0.
Goldschmidt's RBI single off Brian Wilson in the seventh scored Gosewisch, who doubled off Brandon League, extending Arizona's lead to 4-0.
Los Angeles got its only run on Yasiel Puig's 16th homer, a towering shot into the Dodgers' bullpen in left, in the seventh.
Notes: The Dodgers turned four double plays. ... The Dodgers selected the contract of LHP Onelki Garcia from Triple-A Albuquerque and transferred RHP Shawn Tolleson to the 60-day DL. Garcia, who made his major league debut in the ninth, is expected to provide extra protection in the bullpen for leftys Paco Rodriguez and J.P. Howell. ... Corbin needs one start for 30 and three innings to reach 200, which would make him the youngest D-backs lefty in club history to do so. ... The 12th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks was marked by a moment of silence, a helicopter flyover and first responders lined up on the first and third base lines during pre-game ceremonies.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 9When is it time to make changes?