D-backs' Kirk Gibson pleased with recent outings of Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill
It hasn't exactly worked out that way for Trevor Cahill and Brandon McCarthy.
Both pitchers have spent time on the disabled list this season, and when they've been healthy, they've combined to go 10-19 with a 4.48 ERA in 39 starts.
But recently, both hurlers have turned around their on-field fortunes. McCarthy is 2-1 with a 1.88 ERA in his last three outings, and Cahill has gone 2-0 while posting a 2.42 ERA in his last four appearances, including three starts.
"The mechanics are better and they're not thinking about the mechanics as much on the mound," D-backs' manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo Tuesday on Arizona Sports 620. "When they weren't throwing the ball well mechanically, they just weren't very sound and the ball wasn't coming out of the same arm slot very often.
"That's a hard way to go and then you're trying to make corrections and you're thinking about that instead of just thinking about getting the guy out."
In his last outing Sunday against San Francisco, McCarthy pitched eight strong innings in a 2-1 D-backs' win.
"In McCarthy's last start, he was great, he threw eight innings," Gibson said. "He threw everything good and threw a ton of strikes -- he had like 70 strikes in almost 100 pitches -- that's a high percentage."
Cahill went five innings against the Giants last Thursday, allowing two runs and six hits on the way to his sixth win of the year, and third in a row.
"Cahill, he's been throwing the ball more consistently, but probably isn't as locked in as McCarthy is," Gibson said.
"Those are guys we count on throughout the year, they both got hurt and they didn't really give us what we needed early on, but right now, they're throwing the ball much better."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.