D-backs' Kirk Gibson pleased with recent outings of Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill
It hasn't exactly worked out that way for Trevor Cahill and Brandon McCarthy.
Both pitchers have spent time on the disabled list this season, and when they've been healthy, they've combined to go 10-19 with a 4.48 ERA in 39 starts.
But recently, both hurlers have turned around their on-field fortunes. McCarthy is 2-1 with a 1.88 ERA in his last three outings, and Cahill has gone 2-0 while posting a 2.42 ERA in his last four appearances, including three starts.
"The mechanics are better and they're not thinking about the mechanics as much on the mound," D-backs' manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo Tuesday on Arizona Sports 620. "When they weren't throwing the ball well mechanically, they just weren't very sound and the ball wasn't coming out of the same arm slot very often.
"That's a hard way to go and then you're trying to make corrections and you're thinking about that instead of just thinking about getting the guy out."
In his last outing Sunday against San Francisco, McCarthy pitched eight strong innings in a 2-1 D-backs' win.
"In McCarthy's last start, he was great, he threw eight innings," Gibson said. "He threw everything good and threw a ton of strikes -- he had like 70 strikes in almost 100 pitches -- that's a high percentage."
Cahill went five innings against the Giants last Thursday, allowing two runs and six hits on the way to his sixth win of the year, and third in a row.
"Cahill, he's been throwing the ball more consistently, but probably isn't as locked in as McCarthy is," Gibson said.
"Those are guys we count on throughout the year, they both got hurt and they didn't really give us what we needed early on, but right now, they're throwing the ball much better."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.