Diamondbacks slip back to .500
At 72-72, the Diamondbacks are .500 for the first time since they were 1-1.
Despite once being nine games over .500, at 34-25 on June 5, Kirk Gibson's club has slowly, gradually slipped into mediocrity and out of playoff contention -- now standing 13 games back from the Dodgers, who they once held an 8.5 game lead over in the National League West, and nine games back of the Cincinnati Reds in the race for the second NL Wild Card.
Tuesday was the tenth time the Diamondbacks had faced falling to .500 this season and Wednesday will be just the second time they'll face the prospect of a losing record, the last time, of course, being back on April 2.
After going 15-12 in both April and May, the Diamondbacks went 12-15 in June, 13-13 in July, 14-13 in August and they're now 3-7 in September.
Back in June, the team was outscored 130-120 -- a marginal deficit when placed beside the current month's lackluster efforts. So far in September, the Diamondbacks have scored 23 runs while their opponents have scored 47 runs.
With their struggles, their elimination magic numbers are now at 6 and 9, respectively -- the former representing their standing in the NL West and the latter representing their chances at a Wild Card spot.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.