Diamondbacks slip back to .500
At 72-72, the Diamondbacks are .500 for the first time since they were 1-1.
Despite once being nine games over .500, at 34-25 on June 5, Kirk Gibson's club has slowly, gradually slipped into mediocrity and out of playoff contention -- now standing 13 games back from the Dodgers, who they once held an 8.5 game lead over in the National League West, and nine games back of the Cincinnati Reds in the race for the second NL Wild Card.
Tuesday was the tenth time the Diamondbacks had faced falling to .500 this season and Wednesday will be just the second time they'll face the prospect of a losing record, the last time, of course, being back on April 2.
After going 15-12 in both April and May, the Diamondbacks went 12-15 in June, 13-13 in July, 14-13 in August and they're now 3-7 in September.
Back in June, the team was outscored 130-120 -- a marginal deficit when placed beside the current month's lackluster efforts. So far in September, the Diamondbacks have scored 23 runs while their opponents have scored 47 runs.
With their struggles, their elimination magic numbers are now at 6 and 9, respectively -- the former representing their standing in the NL West and the latter representing their chances at a Wild Card spot.
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.