Diamondbacks slip back to .500
At 72-72, the Diamondbacks are .500 for the first time since they were 1-1.
Despite once being nine games over .500, at 34-25 on June 5, Kirk Gibson's club has slowly, gradually slipped into mediocrity and out of playoff contention -- now standing 13 games back from the Dodgers, who they once held an 8.5 game lead over in the National League West, and nine games back of the Cincinnati Reds in the race for the second NL Wild Card.
Tuesday was the tenth time the Diamondbacks had faced falling to .500 this season and Wednesday will be just the second time they'll face the prospect of a losing record, the last time, of course, being back on April 2.
After going 15-12 in both April and May, the Diamondbacks went 12-15 in June, 13-13 in July, 14-13 in August and they're now 3-7 in September.
Back in June, the team was outscored 130-120 -- a marginal deficit when placed beside the current month's lackluster efforts. So far in September, the Diamondbacks have scored 23 runs while their opponents have scored 47 runs.
With their struggles, their elimination magic numbers are now at 6 and 9, respectively -- the former representing their standing in the NL West and the latter representing their chances at a Wild Card spot.
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.