Diamondbacks GM: Team is struggling on offense, not giving up
In that time they've struggled against lesser teams teams like Toronto and San Francisco, and nearly had a perfect game thrown against them by Yusmeiro Petit.
The stretch has pretty much taken the postseason out of the conversation for the team that spent a significant portion of the season in first place, but while it may look like the team has given up or stopped caring, general manager Kevin Towers says that's not the case.
"When you don't swing the bats, offensively you're struggling, your team looks flat," Towers conceded on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "It looks like you don't care, there's no emotion, these guys have given up.
"They haven't given up, it's not that they're not emotional, it's just that when you don't score runs everything looks bad."
The D-backs have averaged just 2.15 runs per game over their last 13, and have been shut out twice during that span.
And as has been the case for seemingly most of the season, the lapse in offense has come during a time when the starting pitching, for the most part, has been pretty solid.
That, along with the bullpen's struggles, has left Towers pretty frustrated.
"Our pitching doesn't click with our hitting; when we're pitching we're not hitting, when we're hitting we're not pitching," he said. "And when we're hitting and pitching, then our bullpen struggles.
"Of late, it's definitely been offense."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.