Tina Brown to leave The Daily Beast
NEW YORK (AP) - Tina Brown, the editor who oversaw the ill-fated merger of Newsweek and The Daily Beast website, said Wednesday that she's parting ways with the company.
"Exciting news ... sad 2 leave Beast but change is good," Brown posted on Twitter.
Separately, Brown issued a news release saying she is launching Tina Brown Live Media. The company will host "flash debates" and summits, including the Women in the World conference, which she launched in 2010.
A spokeswoman for IAC/InterActiveCorp, which owns The Daily Beast, declined to comment.
Brown's departure was earlier reported by Buzzfeed business editor Peter Lauria, a former Daily Beast correspondent.
The website said Brown's contract expires in January and was not going to be renewed.
Brown, the former editor of Vanity Fair and The New Yorker, presided over the end of the print run for Newsweek, which IAC bought for $1 in 2010 before merging it with the Daily Beast.
Brown said in her statement said she was proud of changes made to Newsweek, "in the battle we waged to save it from the overwhelming forces of media change."
The money-losing newsweekly magazine went online-only last year and was sold IBT Media last month.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.