ESPN's Tim Kurkjian stands behind Gibson, Towers
On Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday, Kurkjian said that Gibson and Towers deserve a reprieve as the team is just performing to its talent level.
"I guess you could make a case they didn't put the bullpen together properly. Maybe they didn't have enough starting pitching," Kurkjian said. "But I'm not about to fire the GM or the manager for, at this point, finishing about .500 without much more of a team than that."
Kurkjian also added that before the season began, he predicted the D-backs would finish third in the NL West with a record around the .500 mark, which is pretty much spot on for their actual performance.
The D-backs were in first place through most of the first half until the Los Angeles Dodgers overtook them on July 22. They currently sit 13 games back of the Dodgers.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.