ESPN's Tim Kurkjian stands behind Gibson, Towers
On Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday, Kurkjian said that Gibson and Towers deserve a reprieve as the team is just performing to its talent level.
"I guess you could make a case they didn't put the bullpen together properly. Maybe they didn't have enough starting pitching," Kurkjian said. "But I'm not about to fire the GM or the manager for, at this point, finishing about .500 without much more of a team than that."
Kurkjian also added that before the season began, he predicted the D-backs would finish third in the NL West with a record around the .500 mark, which is pretty much spot on for their actual performance.
The D-backs were in first place through most of the first half until the Los Angeles Dodgers overtook them on July 22. They currently sit 13 games back of the Dodgers.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.