Goldschmidt drives in 5 runs, D-backs beat Rockies
PHOENIX (AP) - Paul Goldschmidt homered and went 4 for 4, driving in career high-tying five runs Sunday to lead the Arizona Diamondbacks past the Colorado Rockies 8-2.
Colorado star Todd Helton did not play, a day announcing he would retire after this season. The crowd at Chase Field cheered him early in the game and he waved his cap in appreciation.
Goldschmidt had an RBI single in the first inning, hit a two-run homer in the third and added a two-run double in the fourth, all against Jhoulys Chacin (13-9).
Goldschmidt leads the NL with 114 RBIs.
Randall Delgado (5-6) allowed two runs and five hits in six innings for the Diamondbacks, who won have won three of four.
Pinch-hitter Charlie Culberson homered for the Rockies, who have lost two straight and seven of their past nine.
Chacin and the Rockies were behind nearly from the outset. Adam Eaton led off the first with an infield single, stole second and scored on Goldschmidt's single.
Goldschmidt hit a towering drive for his 32nd home run and a 3-0 lead in the third. He doubled home Chris Owings and Eaton to cap Arizona's three-run fourth and give the Diamondbacks a 6-0 lead.
Chacin lasted a season-low four innings, allowing six runs- four earned- on seven hits with three walks.
Culberson's first career pinch-hit home run pulled Colorado within 6-2 in the fifth. Matt Davidson hit his first career homer in the bottom half to make it 7-2.
Owings added an RBI single in the eighth.
NOTES: Goldschmidt's home run was his first since Aug. 20, ending a drought of 83 at-bats. ... Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki was 2 for 4 and has seven hits in past 14 at-bats. ... Arizona RHP Trevor Cahill (6-10), who is 3-0 in five starts since returning from the disabled list on Aug. 17, will face LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu (13-6) and the Los Angeles Dodgers on Monday night. ... Rockies manager Walt Weiss has not announced a starter for Monday's game against St. Louis.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.