Pair of former A's finally finding groove for D-backs
Slated as the team's No. 2 and 3 starters at the season's outset, Cahill and McCarthy each hit rough patches midway through the season and both landed on the disabled list.
Cahill was solid through the first two months of the season, boasting a 2.87 ERA as the Diamondbacks headed for June -- the month he imploded. In six June starts, the right-hander went 0-5 with a 9.85 ERA. He was placed on the disabled list at month's end with a hip injury.
McCarthy, meanwhile, struggled from the get-go. In April, the offseason free agent acquisition went 0-3 with a 7.48 ERA. And though he seemed to regain control in May, going 2-1 with a 3.23 ERA, he suffered a shoulder injury at the end of the month, which landed him on the disabled list for all of June and July and part of August.
Both returned from the disabled list in August and, after a few innings of reacclimation, they've seemingly found the form the Diamondbacks hoped they'd have at the beginning of the season.
In his last six games -- five starts and an extra innings relief appearance -- Cahill has a 2.14 ERA over 33.2 innings. Though he continues to struggle with walks, giving up 20 while striking out just 21 in that span, he continues to show deftness with damage control.
Cahill beat the Dodgers 2-1 Monday at Chase Field.
And McCarthy has a 2.10 ERA over his last four starts, spanning 30.0 innings. The 30-year-old has a 15:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio during the stretch, dating back to August 26.
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.