Pair of former A's finally finding groove for D-backs
Slated as the team's No. 2 and 3 starters at the season's outset, Cahill and McCarthy each hit rough patches midway through the season and both landed on the disabled list.
Cahill was solid through the first two months of the season, boasting a 2.87 ERA as the Diamondbacks headed for June -- the month he imploded. In six June starts, the right-hander went 0-5 with a 9.85 ERA. He was placed on the disabled list at month's end with a hip injury.
McCarthy, meanwhile, struggled from the get-go. In April, the offseason free agent acquisition went 0-3 with a 7.48 ERA. And though he seemed to regain control in May, going 2-1 with a 3.23 ERA, he suffered a shoulder injury at the end of the month, which landed him on the disabled list for all of June and July and part of August.
Both returned from the disabled list in August and, after a few innings of reacclimation, they've seemingly found the form the Diamondbacks hoped they'd have at the beginning of the season.
In his last six games -- five starts and an extra innings relief appearance -- Cahill has a 2.14 ERA over 33.2 innings. Though he continues to struggle with walks, giving up 20 while striking out just 21 in that span, he continues to show deftness with damage control.
Cahill beat the Dodgers 2-1 Monday at Chase Field.
And McCarthy has a 2.10 ERA over his last four starts, spanning 30.0 innings. The 30-year-old has a 15:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio during the stretch, dating back to August 26.
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.