Pair of former A's finally finding groove for D-backs
Slated as the team's No. 2 and 3 starters at the season's outset, Cahill and McCarthy each hit rough patches midway through the season and both landed on the disabled list.
Cahill was solid through the first two months of the season, boasting a 2.87 ERA as the Diamondbacks headed for June -- the month he imploded. In six June starts, the right-hander went 0-5 with a 9.85 ERA. He was placed on the disabled list at month's end with a hip injury.
McCarthy, meanwhile, struggled from the get-go. In April, the offseason free agent acquisition went 0-3 with a 7.48 ERA. And though he seemed to regain control in May, going 2-1 with a 3.23 ERA, he suffered a shoulder injury at the end of the month, which landed him on the disabled list for all of June and July and part of August.
Both returned from the disabled list in August and, after a few innings of reacclimation, they've seemingly found the form the Diamondbacks hoped they'd have at the beginning of the season.
In his last six games -- five starts and an extra innings relief appearance -- Cahill has a 2.14 ERA over 33.2 innings. Though he continues to struggle with walks, giving up 20 while striking out just 21 in that span, he continues to show deftness with damage control.
Cahill beat the Dodgers 2-1 Monday at Chase Field.
And McCarthy has a 2.10 ERA over his last four starts, spanning 30.0 innings. The 30-year-old has a 15:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio during the stretch, dating back to August 26.
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.