Diamondbacks' crowded outfield needs time to take shape
Gerardo Parra, Jason Kubel, Adam Eaton and Cody Ross all expected to get time, and A.J. Pollock was waiting in the wings for a shot. Martin Prado, who can play outfield, was also part of the mix.
Injuries took Kubel and Eaton out of the lineup for a while, which led to Pollock and Prado receiving a substantial amount of playing time in the outfield.
With the season nearing its end and the D-backs not in the playoff picture, much of the attention is turning to next year, and what the team will look like.
The outfield is a bit of a work-in-progress, especially at the center field position, where Eaton, Pollock and Parra, who is carrying a .265 average with 13 home runs and 75 RBI, can all play.
"I think a lot depends on Cody's health, and how Cody comes back," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "We're hopeful that Cody's ready for spring training, but we like all three of them."
Towers went on to say he believes Pollock, who is hitting .257 with seven home runs and 34 RBI, is the team's best defensive center fielder, while Eaton, who is batting .259 with three home runs and 16 RBI, is probably better suited for a corner outfield spot.
"And Parra, there's no better defender, I think, in the game," he said. "He is a true weapon on either corner, probably right field being the best."
And ultimately, Towers said he's high on all three of his potential center fielders.
"I would say where they're going to play, who's in center, who's in right, who's in left," he said. "I think a lot depends on Cody."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.