Diamondbacks' crowded outfield needs time to take shape
Gerardo Parra, Jason Kubel, Adam Eaton and Cody Ross all expected to get time, and A.J. Pollock was waiting in the wings for a shot. Martin Prado, who can play outfield, was also part of the mix.
Injuries took Kubel and Eaton out of the lineup for a while, which led to Pollock and Prado receiving a substantial amount of playing time in the outfield.
With the season nearing its end and the D-backs not in the playoff picture, much of the attention is turning to next year, and what the team will look like.
The outfield is a bit of a work-in-progress, especially at the center field position, where Eaton, Pollock and Parra, who is carrying a .265 average with 13 home runs and 75 RBI, can all play.
"I think a lot depends on Cody's health, and how Cody comes back," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "We're hopeful that Cody's ready for spring training, but we like all three of them."
Towers went on to say he believes Pollock, who is hitting .257 with seven home runs and 34 RBI, is the team's best defensive center fielder, while Eaton, who is batting .259 with three home runs and 16 RBI, is probably better suited for a corner outfield spot.
"And Parra, there's no better defender, I think, in the game," he said. "He is a true weapon on either corner, probably right field being the best."
And ultimately, Towers said he's high on all three of his potential center fielders.
"I would say where they're going to play, who's in center, who's in right, who's in left," he said. "I think a lot depends on Cody."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.