Diamondbacks' crowded outfield needs time to take shape
Gerardo Parra, Jason Kubel, Adam Eaton and Cody Ross all expected to get time, and A.J. Pollock was waiting in the wings for a shot. Martin Prado, who can play outfield, was also part of the mix.
Injuries took Kubel and Eaton out of the lineup for a while, which led to Pollock and Prado receiving a substantial amount of playing time in the outfield.
With the season nearing its end and the D-backs not in the playoff picture, much of the attention is turning to next year, and what the team will look like.
The outfield is a bit of a work-in-progress, especially at the center field position, where Eaton, Pollock and Parra, who is carrying a .265 average with 13 home runs and 75 RBI, can all play.
"I think a lot depends on Cody's health, and how Cody comes back," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "We're hopeful that Cody's ready for spring training, but we like all three of them."
Towers went on to say he believes Pollock, who is hitting .257 with seven home runs and 34 RBI, is the team's best defensive center fielder, while Eaton, who is batting .259 with three home runs and 16 RBI, is probably better suited for a corner outfield spot.
"And Parra, there's no better defender, I think, in the game," he said. "He is a true weapon on either corner, probably right field being the best."
And ultimately, Towers said he's high on all three of his potential center fielders.
"I would say where they're going to play, who's in center, who's in right, who's in left," he said. "I think a lot depends on Cody."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.