Diamondbacks' crowded outfield needs time to take shape
Gerardo Parra, Jason Kubel, Adam Eaton and Cody Ross all expected to get time, and A.J. Pollock was waiting in the wings for a shot. Martin Prado, who can play outfield, was also part of the mix.
Injuries took Kubel and Eaton out of the lineup for a while, which led to Pollock and Prado receiving a substantial amount of playing time in the outfield.
With the season nearing its end and the D-backs not in the playoff picture, much of the attention is turning to next year, and what the team will look like.
The outfield is a bit of a work-in-progress, especially at the center field position, where Eaton, Pollock and Parra, who is carrying a .265 average with 13 home runs and 75 RBI, can all play.
"I think a lot depends on Cody's health, and how Cody comes back," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "We're hopeful that Cody's ready for spring training, but we like all three of them."
Towers went on to say he believes Pollock, who is hitting .257 with seven home runs and 34 RBI, is the team's best defensive center fielder, while Eaton, who is batting .259 with three home runs and 16 RBI, is probably better suited for a corner outfield spot.
"And Parra, there's no better defender, I think, in the game," he said. "He is a true weapon on either corner, probably right field being the best."
And ultimately, Towers said he's high on all three of his potential center fielders.
"I would say where they're going to play, who's in center, who's in right, who's in left," he said. "I think a lot depends on Cody."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.