Diamondbacks' crowded outfield needs time to take shape
Gerardo Parra, Jason Kubel, Adam Eaton and Cody Ross all expected to get time, and A.J. Pollock was waiting in the wings for a shot. Martin Prado, who can play outfield, was also part of the mix.
Injuries took Kubel and Eaton out of the lineup for a while, which led to Pollock and Prado receiving a substantial amount of playing time in the outfield.
With the season nearing its end and the D-backs not in the playoff picture, much of the attention is turning to next year, and what the team will look like.
The outfield is a bit of a work-in-progress, especially at the center field position, where Eaton, Pollock and Parra, who is carrying a .265 average with 13 home runs and 75 RBI, can all play.
"I think a lot depends on Cody's health, and how Cody comes back," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "We're hopeful that Cody's ready for spring training, but we like all three of them."
Towers went on to say he believes Pollock, who is hitting .257 with seven home runs and 34 RBI, is the team's best defensive center fielder, while Eaton, who is batting .259 with three home runs and 16 RBI, is probably better suited for a corner outfield spot.
"And Parra, there's no better defender, I think, in the game," he said. "He is a true weapon on either corner, probably right field being the best."
And ultimately, Towers said he's high on all three of his potential center fielders.
"I would say where they're going to play, who's in center, who's in right, who's in left," he said. "I think a lot depends on Cody."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.